* Trouble saving fontification information
@ 2008-11-25  8:55 Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2008-11-25  8:55 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.

Your bug report will be posted to the bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org mailing
list,
and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.

Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
and the precise symptoms of the bug:

I have written the following code to save Emacs' fontification
information to an HTML document for display in a web browser, but the
trouble is that it is rather unreliable, sometimes no fontification is
viewable on the web browser, other times all fontification information
is viewable, and still other times, some information is viewable.
What am I doing wrong to make Emacs so flaky in its performance?

(defun d-html-quote-insert-char (ch)
  (cond
   ((eq ch ?<)
    (insert "&lt;"))
   ((eq ch ?>)
    (insert "&gt;"))
   ((eq ch ?&)
    (insert "&amp;"))
   (t
    (insert (format "%c" ch)))))

(defun d-convert-font (font)
  (cond
   ((eq font 'font-lock-comment-face)
    'flcf)
   ((eq font 'font-lock-keyword-face)
    'flkf)
   ((eq font 'font-lock-string-face)
    'flsf)
   ((eq font 'font-lock-type-face)
    'fltf)
   ((eq font 'font-lock-variable-name-face)
    'flvnf)
   ((eq font 'font-lock-function-name-face)
    'flfnf)
   ((eq font 'd-face-cc-digits)
    'libd-purple)
   ((eq font 'd-face-cc-global)
    'libd-green)
   ((eq font 'font-lock-constant-face)
    'libd-red)))

(defun d-append (ch font)
  (save-excursion
    (set-buffer "*output*")
    (goto-char (point-max))
    ;;(setq font (d-convert-font font))
    (if (eq last font)
        (d-html-quote-insert-char ch)
      (if (not (eq last nil))
          (insert "</span>"))
      (if (not (eq font nil))
          (insert "<span class=\"" (prin1-to-string font) "\">"))
      (setq last font)
      (d-html-quote-insert-char ch))))

(defun pretty-print (file)
  (interactive "fEnter a filename: ")
  (save-excursion
    (if (get-buffer "*output*")
        (kill-buffer "*output*"))
    (generate-new-buffer "*output*")
    (find-file file)
    (c++-mode)
    ;;(sjs-mode)
    (font-lock-fontify-buffer)
    (setq last nil)
    ;;(message "*** begin")
    (goto-char (point-min))
    ;;(d-movement--unpad-buffer)
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer "*output*")
      (insert "<html>\n")
      (insert "   <head>\n")
      (insert "      <link rel=\"stylesheet\" href=\"stylesheet9.css\"
type=\"text/css\">\n")
      (insert "   </head>\n")
      (insert "<body>\n")
      (insert "<pre>"))
    ;;(save-excursion (set-buffer "*output*") (insert "<span class=
\"nil\">"))
    (while (< (point) (point-max))
      (setq font (get-char-property (point) 'face))
      (setq ch   (char-after (point)))
      (if (not (eq ch nil))
          (d-append ch font))
      (forward-char 1))
    ;;(message "*** end")
    (save-excursion
      (set-buffer "*output*")
      (insert "</pre>\n")
      (insert "</body>\n")
      (insert "</html>\n")
      (html-mode))
    ;;(d-movement--pad-buffer)
    ))

If Emacs crashed, and you have the Emacs process in the gdb debugger,
please include the output from the following gdb commands:
    `bt full' and `xbacktrace'.
If you would like to further debug the crash, please read the file
d:/Program Files/emacs-22.2/etc/DEBUG for instructions.

In GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (i386-mingw-nt5.1.2600)
 of 2008-03-27 on RELEASE
Windowing system distributor `Microsoft Corp.', version 5.1.2600
configured using `configure --with-gcc (3.4)'

Important settings:
  value of $LC_ALL: nil
  value of $LC_COLLATE: nil
  value of $LC_CTYPE: nil
  value of $LC_MESSAGES: nil
  value of $LC_MONETARY: nil
  value of $LC_NUMERIC: nil
  value of $LC_TIME: nil
  value of $LANG: ENZ
  locale-coding-system: cp1252
  default-enable-multibyte-characters: t

Major mode: Dired by name

Minor modes in effect:
  recentf-mode: t
  tabbar-mode: t
  display-time-mode: t
  dired-omit-mode: t
  show-paren-mode: t
  encoded-kbd-mode: t
  tooltip-mode: t
  tool-bar-mode: t
  mouse-wheel-mode: t
  menu-bar-mode: t
  file-name-shadow-mode: t
  global-font-lock-mode: t
  font-lock-mode: t
  blink-cursor-mode: t
  unify-8859-on-encoding-mode: t
  utf-translate-cjk-mode: t
  auto-compression-mode: t
  column-number-mode: t
  line-number-mode: t

Recent input:
<f3> C-d d l <tab> C-g M-x d <backspace> r e p o r
<tab> <return>

Recent messages:
Cleaning up the recentf list...done (0 removed)
For information about GNU Emacs and the GNU system, type C-h C-a.
(No files need saving)
Omitting...
Omitted 32 lines.
Quit

* Re: Trouble saving fontification information
@ 2008-11-25 14:09 ` Xah Lee
From: Xah Lee @ 2008-11-25 14:09 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 25, 12:55 am, Davin Pearson <davin.pear...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Please write in English if possible, because the Emacs maintainers
> usually do not have translators to read other languages for them.
>
> Your bug report will be posted to the bug-gnu-em...@gnu.org mailing
> list,
> and to the gnu.emacs.bug news group.
>
> Please describe exactly what actions triggered the bug
> and the precise symptoms of the bug:
>
> I have written the following code to save Emacs' fontification
> information to an HTML document for display in a web browser, but the
> trouble is that it is rather unreliable, sometimes no fontification is
> viewable on the web browser, other times all fontification information
> is viewable, and still other times, some information is viewable.
> What am I doing wrong to make Emacs so flaky in its performance?

Not sure what's your intent in posting the above message here.

Are you trying to ask a elisp question? Are you trying to file a bug
report? Are you just trying to complain?

if you have elisp question, please make it specific. If bug report,
the proper place is M-x report-emacs-bug. If complain, please make it
clear what exactly are you complaining about, and a better newsgroup
for that would be “comp.emacs”.

if you just want a feature to turn emacs fontification to html, there
are at least 2 robust packages for that. I use htmlize.el by Hrvoje
Niksic.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 3+ messages in thread

* Re: Trouble saving fontification information
@ 2008-11-26  0:42   ` Davin Pearson
From: Davin Pearson @ 2008-11-26  0:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> if you just want a feature to turn emacs fontification to html, there
> are at least 2 robust packages for that. I use htmlize.el by Hrvoje
> Niksic.

Thanks for your help htmlize works fine for me.