* How to get rid of 'read-only' on region when mouse-copying it from jabber mode ?
@ 2014-07-01  9:19 xani666
From: xani666 @ 2014-07-01  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I've noticed a very weird thing, everytime I am trying to mouse copy text from jabber-mode (version 20140225), resulting paste is a read-only text region.

I've reproduced it on empty (well, almost, got some configuration to connect to server) .emacs config, it only happens on mouse and in jabber-mode, keyboard killing and then yanking region works fine

Any ideas on what it can be and how to change it?

Cheers,

Mariusz

* Re: How to get rid of 'read-only' on region when mouse-copying it from jabber mode ?
@ 2014-07-01 14:37 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-07-01 14:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I've noticed a very weird thing, everytime I am trying to mouse copy text
> from jabber-mode (version 20140225), resulting paste is a read-only
> text region.

You might try M-x report-emacs-bug (tho the bug might also be in
jabber-mode).  In any case, to figure it out, we'll probably need more
details.  E.g. describe *in detail* what you do and what you see.
E.g. you say "resulting paste is a read-only text region" but you don't
say what makes you think so.  Similarly you say "mouse copy text" but
this can mean various different things, so you need to say which buttons
you press, and when, and where you press them.

* Re: How to get rid of 'read-only' on region when mouse-copying it from jabber mode ?
@ 2014-07-01 15:56   ` xani666
From: xani666 @ 2014-07-01 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 4:37:00 PM UTC+2, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I've noticed a very weird thing, everytime I am trying to mouse copy text
>
> > from jabber-mode (version 20140225), resulting paste is a read-only
>
> > text region.
>

> You might try M-x report-emacs-bug (tho the bug might also be in
>
> jabber-mode).  In any case, to figure it out, we'll probably need more
>
> details.  E.g. describe *in detail* what you do and what you see.
>
> E.g. you say "resulting paste is a read-only text region" but you don't
>
> say what makes you think so.  Similarly you say "mouse copy text" but
>
> this can mean various different things, so you need to say which buttons
>
> you press, and when, and where you press them.

By copying text I mean dragging mouse-1 (binded to mouse-drag-region)

By 'read only region' i mean that when I paste it using middle mouse button (binded to mouse-yank-primary) in read write buffer (for example *scratch*)

By "read-only" I mean region of text have property "read-only" and when I try to edit the pasted part i get "Text is read-only" in pasted part, while rest of the buffer remains read-write.

I suspect it is something to do with jabber-mode as I never saw that behaviour outside of it, I also noticed font-lock-face get copied too, even tho both of them are on yank-excluded-properties. Basically it looks like none of yank-excluded-properties gets removed when pasting via mouse yank

* Re: How to get rid of 'read-only' on region when mouse-copying it from jabber mode ?
@ 2014-07-01 16:36     ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2014-07-01 16:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I suspect it is something to do with jabber-mode as I never saw that
> behaviour outside of it, I also noticed font-lock-face get copied too, even
> tho both of them are on yank-excluded-properties. Basically it looks like
> none of yank-excluded-properties gets removed when pasting via mouse yank

I think it's a longstanding bug in mouse-yank-primary.  Could you move
the discussion to M-x report-emacs-bug?

* Re: How to get rid of 'read-only' on region when mouse-copying it from jabber mode ?
@ 2014-07-02  8:47       ` xani666
From: xani666 @ 2014-07-02  8:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Tuesday, July 1, 2014 6:36:12 PM UTC+2, Stefan Monnier wrote:
> > I suspect it is something to do with jabber-mode as I never saw that
>
> > behaviour outside of it, I also noticed font-lock-face get copied too, even
>
> > tho both of them are on yank-excluded-properties. Basically it looks like
>
> > none of yank-excluded-properties gets removed when pasting via mouse yank
>

> I think it's a longstanding bug in mouse-yank-primary.  Could you move
>
> the discussion to M-x report-emacs-bug?

Sure, I suspected something was wrong with my config, or jabber-mode but it exactly same behaviour as in bug #17271