* incremental search in all visible buffers
@ 2008-09-14  5:40 tomer
From: tomer @ 2008-09-14  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

is there any way to use incremental seach in all visible buffers.
this is usefull when working on a buffer while viewing also another
buffer, and I want to search(incremnatal search with highlight) on
both buffers and view immediate result on the buffers.
Thanks
Tomer

* RE: incremental search in all visible buffers
@ 2008-09-14  6:03 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2008-09-14  6:03 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: 'tomer', help-gnu-emacs

> is there any way to use incremental seach in all visible buffers.
> this is usefull when working on a buffer while viewing also another
> buffer, and I want to search(incremnatal search with highlight) on
> both buffers and view immediate result on the buffers.

Here's one answer:

Icicles offers a different kind of incremental search (and replace). You can use
it across multiple buffers or files (or saved regions).

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/Icicles_-_Search_Commands%2c_Overview

And here are some other multiple-buffer search possibilities, not all of which
are incremental, however:

* http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/CategorySearchAndReplace#toc1
* http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SearchBuffers

* Re: incremental search in all visible buffers
@ 2008-09-14 15:26 ` Xah
From: Xah @ 2008-09-14 15:26 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 13, 10:40 pm, tomer <tomer1le...@walla.co.il> wrote:
> is there any way to use incremental seach in all visible buffers.
> this is usefull when working on a buffer while viewing also another
> buffer, and I want to search(incremnatal search with highlight) on
> both buffers and view immediate result on the buffers.
> Thanks
> Tomer

you can go to dired, mark the buffers u want, then do a interactive
find/replace operation where the replace string is identical to the
find string.

Basically:

• M-x dired
• type “m” to mark.
• type “Q” to call dired-do-query-replace-regexp.
• give your find string and replace string.
• type “n” to not replace.

So, the above would function like interactive search.

For detail, see:

http://xahlee.org/emacs/find_replace_inter.html

not sure how to apply this to “visible” buffers... but it is not
difficult to write a elisp... whatever your “visible” buffer might
mean.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/^ permalink raw reply	[flat|nested] 4+ messages in thread

* Re: incremental search in all visible buffers
@ 2008-09-22  8:37   ` tomer
From: tomer @ 2008-09-22  8:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 14, 6:26 pm, Xah <xah...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 13, 10:40 pm, tomer <tomer1le...@walla.co.il> wrote:
>
> > is there any way to use incremental seach in all visible buffers.
> > this is usefull when working on a buffer while viewing also another
> > buffer, and I want to search(incremnatal search with highlight) on
> > both buffers and view immediate result on the buffers.
> > Thanks
> > Tomer
>
> you can go to dired, mark the buffers u want, then do a interactive
> find/replace operation where the replace string is identical to the
> find string.
>
> Basically:
>
> • M-x dired
> • type “m” to mark.
> • type “Q” to call dired-do-query-replace-regexp.
> • give your find string and replace string.
> • type “n” to not replace.
>
> So, the above would function like interactive search.
>
> For detail, see:
>
> http://xahlee.org/emacs/find_replace_inter.html
>
> not sure how to apply this to “visible” buffers... but it is not
> difficult to write a elisp... whatever your “visible” buffer might
> mean.
>
>   Xah
> ∑http://xahlee.org/
>
> ☄

hi Xah
as i understand it,your solution  is not incremental.
incremental means ( as i understatnd it) that as I type the string to
search ,after each character pressed in searched string
the emacs  highligh all the places matches the updated searched
string.
Thanks
Tomer
Tomer