* sunrise commander -- changing view
@ 2008-10-29 14:05 rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-10-29 14:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Does anyone know how to get shorter views in sunrise commander rather
than seeing truncated lines??

* Re: sunrise commander -- changing view
@ 2008-11-05  9:23 ` escherdragon
From: escherdragon @ 2008-11-05  9:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom wrote:
> Does anyone know how to get shorter views in sunrise commander rather
> than seeing truncated lines??

There are two variables you can customize to make this happen: sr-
listing-switches and sr-virtual-listing-switches, they contain all the
options passed to the listing program to create all dired listings in
sunrise.

sr-listing-switches determines the contents of regular sunrise
buffers. On linux with a recent version of ls I use the following
(without the quotes) to get my preferred view: "--time-style=locale --
group-directories-first -alDphgG"

sr-virtual-listing-switches determines the contents of virtual sunrise
buffers (the ones that show the results of find, locate, recent files,
recent directories, etc) and you can also modify it, but be warned
that you'll break sorting in this kind of buffers (just see if you
care enough about it).

You can always do M-x customize-group [enter] sunrise [enter] to see
all customizable options.

Cheers,

--
José A. Romero L.
joseito@poczta.onet.pl

* Re: sunrise commander -- changing view
@ 2008-11-10 13:07   ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-11-10 13:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Nov 5, 2:23 pm, escherdra...@gmail.com wrote:
> There are two variables you can customize to make this happen: sr-
> listing-switches and sr-virtual-listing-switches, they contain all the
> options passed to the listing program to create all dired listings in
> sunrise.
> Cheers,
>
> --
> José A. Romero L.
> jose...@poczta.onet.pl
> "We who cut mere stones must always be envisioning cathedrals."
> (Quarry worker's creed)

Thanks Jose.
I did not see this mail until yesterday.
Just now I am on windows and ive setup for sr as follows

(setq ls-lisp-dirs-first t)  ;; giving this as an option to sr-listing-
sw barfs
(setq sr-listing-switches "-lDphgG")
(setq ls-lisp-verbosity '( ))  ;; this turns off the owner and group
(largely useless on windows)

However I still get the "rwxrwxrwx" all over which is anyway largely
meaningless on windows.
And is uselessly consuming screen real estate

How to shut that off??

* Re: sunrise commander -- changing view
@ 2008-11-10 13:55     ` rustom
From: rustom @ 2008-11-10 13:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Also some more sunrise commander questions:

1. How to open the directory under the cursor in the other window

2. op in eshell understands file types so
  op foo.pdf starts acroread
  op bar.doc starts word etc
How to have op like behavior for file under point?

* Re: sunrise commander -- changing view
@ 2008-11-11 22:52     ` escherdragon
From: escherdragon @ 2008-11-11 22:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom wrote:
(...)
> However I still get the "rwxrwxrwx" all over which is anyway largely
> meaningless on windows.
> And is uselessly consuming screen real estate
>
> How to shut that off??

Aaah, as you see, Windows is not very friendly out of the box. The ls
emulation shipped with emacs kind of works, but you won't get much
more than that. Fortunately there are several quite decent
implementations of ls (as well as other unix tools) available for
Windows:

 * GNU msls (http://utools.com/msls.asp)
 * CoreUtils (http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages/coreutils.htm)
 * Cygwin (http://www.cygwin.com/)

My first recommendation is to install one of these and modify the
variables ls-lisp-use-insert-directory-program and insert-directory-
program so emacs uses what you want, but if for some reason you still
want to stick with the emacs emulation then read this:
http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/ls-in-Lisp.html

Cheers,
--

@ 2008-11-11 23:07       ` escherdragon
From: escherdragon @ 2008-11-11 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

rustom wrote:
(...)
> 1. How to open the directory under the cursor in the other window

There's currently no single binding for that, but you can combine two
to achieve that effect: M-; M-Return
(follow file in passive pane + visit selected file/directory in
passive pane)

> 2. op in eshell understands file types so
>   op foo.pdf starts acroread
>   op bar.doc starts word etc
> How to have op like behavior for file under point?

I use Markus Triska's openwith.el (http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/
OpenWith) and highly recommend it.

Cheers