On Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 06:53:59PM +0100, Basile Starynkevitch wrote: > > On 3/17/24 15:18, Eli Zaretskii wrote: [...] > I actually am git pulling and buiding GNU emacs on Linux Debian/x86-64  > (inside its source tree) more than twice a week. Thanks for one more (or actually many more :) data points! As I wrote, it works for me in-tree, too. > (Why do you want to build it outside of source tree?) Back then (TM), when you built off a tarball, there was a positive advantage to this. Nowadays, with git, it has lost much of its importance. Oldtimer habits,if you will. That was my original post's intention, to find out whether Emacs still cares about out-of-tree builds. Had the answer been "no", I'd changed that habit, but I understood Eli's answer as "yes", so I'll try to find out :-) > Very often it build and works ok. Some time ago I have been doing that, and my experience was like yours, yes. Cheers -- t