On Sun, Mar 17, 2024 at 04:18:35PM +0200, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2024 13:54:21 +0100 > > From: > > > > after a while, I'm trying again to pick up the custom of > > compiling Emacs. > > > > Usually, I compiled in an empty build directory, invoking > > ../emacs/configure. > > That is the correct way. Thanks for confirming. > > This used to work pretty well but doesn't seem to these > > days. I hit two-and-a-half snags: > > > > - one missing chartab.o which happened to lie around > > in the source dir under src; copying it over to the > > corresponding spot in the build dir let the build > > continue > > How come? chartab.c is just one of the source files, and is not > mentioned specially in any Makefile, AFAICT. Why is that file somehow > missing, and others aren't? Please investigate why. (Could it be > your src tree was not clean of all the *.o files?) Good question. I was surprised myself -- anyway, copying chartab.o from /src/ (why was it there in the first place?) to src/ let the build continue, until... > > - one missing symbol rpl_chmodat; this gets defined in > > some header -- sneaking a strategically placed > > > > #undef rpl_chmodat > > If this is on GNU/Linux, then you shouldn't need to have any > rpl_chmodat anywhere. I just searched my source/build tree on > GNU/Linux, and didn't find rpl_chmodat anywhere. So once again, > please investigate. It is GNU/Linux, yes, and this was my take too, since "my" libc does carry a chmodat. > And in any case, this doesn't seem to have anything to do with > out-of-tree builds, does it? Thing is, in-tree build (after a make bootstrap) succeeds right away. Out of tree builds (also after make bootstrap) failed for me as described above. So I'll definitely have a look. Next week is a bit busy, so it might take me until weekend. Thanks for confirming that (a) out-of-tree build is supposed to work and (b) there is interest in knowing when it doesn't. Cheers -- t