On Tue, Jan 17, 2023 at 02:20:45AM +0000, Drew Adams wrote: > > > The use of `apply', pointed out by Anders, speaks > > > directly to "any number of arguments". It applies > > > a function (e.g. `+') to "any number of arguments", > > > which are passed as a list. > > > > Any number means also no argument? To me that is not clear. > > That's why I pointed out that _zero is a number_. Those are big words :-) Minus one is also a number, but we'd be hard pressed to come up with a function taking minus one arguments. Three-quarters, the square root of two and pi are numbers. Arguably, "the" Chaitin constant [1] (actually there are many of them)is also a number. I think the manual wants to say "natural number" and just says "number", but that's OK, because it is directed at humans, and we humans are usually better at disambiguating given a context than at staying awake in front of long and boring texts. Arguably, "zero or more" might be clearer here, but I don't know (after all, the square root of two is bigger than zero, too). Now mathematicians don't agree on whether zero is a natural number. The faculty I studied in started counting from zero, but I've seen faculties which count from one. I once asked a friend of mine teaching at one uni, and he told me faculties having a strong mathematical logic department tended to start with zero. So zero may be a number or not, at least if you read "number" as "natural number", and you ask a mathematician :) Cheers [1] There are uncountably many horrible monsters in the real numbers: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaitin%27s_constant -- t