On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 01:08:00PM +0100, Dr Rainer Woitok wrote: > Tomas, > > On Tuesday, 2022-11-29 09:44:48 +0100, you wrote: > > > ... > > There are big precedents out there (cf. for example Donald Knuth's > > WEB for TeX and METAFONT; it seems to have been in the air for > > some time -- vestiges of that can be found in the shells (if -- fi, > > case -- esac and so on; pity Lisp must have been a tad early; > > otherwise we might have car -- rac, definitely a better sound than > > cdr). > > While this would be feasible for these two functions, it wouldn't work > for "caddr" and ilk :-) But, but... imagine car-rac-rac-rac (yes, with hyphens!). The sound! > I faintly remember discussions back in the early seventies to replace > "car" and "cdr" (which originally stood for "Contents of Address Regis- > ter" and "Contents of Decrement Register", respectively, and referred to > machine instructions on some then modern PDP hardware which were used to > access the two pointers of a cons) IBM 704, but we disgress badly. > with "fst" and "rst" (for "first" and > "rest", respectively) which could even be nicely combined to "frrst" and > similar. But this proposal never made it :-( Pity. Now where are the mice? ;-) Cheers -- t