On Sat, Nov 26, 2022 at 07:42:59AM +0100, Marcin Borkowski wrote: > Hi all, > > assume I have a file (probably an Org mode one) with some stuff > I archived from the 'net. (I'm going to start to sue > youtube-sub-extractor.el.) Here is my problem: assume I remember that > someone in some video said something, and I want to find that part. > However, it turns out that it is split between two (or more) lines. > > Traditional `grep' is not helpful in this situation. Neither is > isearch, nor swiper. One idea would be to convert the subtitles to one > long line (which is an option), but are there any other ways to search > for a string spanning more than one line (and not knowing which words > are separated by a space and which ones by a newline)? > > Both Emacs-y and shell-y tools would be appreciated. Note that, at least, in Emacs, the POSIX character class [:space:] also matches line breaks. So if you always use [[:space:]]+ to separate your words, you might find what you are looking for. Cheers -- t