* Getting the time at a different location
@ 2022-12-04 20:52 Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-12-04 20:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Is it possible to get the time at a different location?

* Re: Getting the time at a different location
@ 2022-12-05  1:59 ` Hendursaga
From: Hendursaga @ 2022-12-05  1:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime, Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> writes:

> Is it possible to get the time at a different location?

Try looking in `time.el`, especially around the function `world-clock`..

* Re: Getting the time at a different location
@ 2022-12-05 19:05 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-12-05 19:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

* Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> [2022-12-04 23:54]:
> Is it possible to get the time at a different location?

Did you mean different location as a time zone?

Or different location of time on the modeline maybe?

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* Re: Getting the time at a different location
@ 2022-12-05 19:21   ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-12-05 19:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > Is it possible to get the time at a different location?
>

> Did you mean different location as a time zone?
>
> Or different location of time on the modeline maybe?

Knowing the local time, get time zones at other places.

* Re: Getting the time at a different location
@ 2022-12-05 19:45     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-12-05 19:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

* Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> [2022-12-05 22:22]:
> Knowing the local time, get time zones at other places.

M-x world-clock

and to set it up, configure variable: world-clock-list

and to know what to write in world-clock-list, I use on GNU/Linux
following shell command:

$ tzselect

then I use the information from tzselect in world-clock-list

You can also try with: M-x world-time-list

--

@ 2022-12-05 20:21       ` Heime
From: Heime @ 2022-12-05 20:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

> > Knowing the local time, get time zones at other places.
>

> M-x world-clock
>
> and to set it up, configure variable: world-clock-list
>
> and to know what to write in world-clock-list, I use on GNU/Linux
> following shell command:
>
> $ tzselect
>
> then I use the information from tzselect in world-clock-list
>
> You can also try with: M-x world-time-list

I cannot implement the details exactly.  Would you have an example that
returns the time at a different location?

* Re: Getting the time at a different location
@ 2022-12-06  3:51         ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-12-06  3:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Heime; +Cc: Heime via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor

* Heime <heimeborgia@protonmail.com> [2022-12-05 23:21]:
> I cannot implement the details exactly.  Would you have an example that
> returns the time at a different location?

world-clock-list ➜ (("America/Los_Angeles" "Seattle") ("America/New_York" "New York & Florida") ("Europe/London" "London") ("Europe/Paris" "Paris") ("Asia/Calcutta" "Bangalore") ("Asia/Tokyo" "Tokyo") ("Europe/Copenhagen" "Copenhagen") ("Asia/Shanghai" "Shanghai") ("Africa/Kampala" "Kampala") ("Europe/Moscow" "Moscow") ("Asia/Kolkata" "Nagpur, India") ("Africa/Nairobi" "Tanzania") ("Asia/Hong_Kong" "Hong Kong") ("Europe/Athens" "Greece"))

M-x world-clock