On Tue, Oct 25, 2022 at 01:01:14PM -0400, Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote: > tomas@tuxteam.de [2022-10-21 19:00:56] wrote: > >> file-remote-p works only when you use a special file name syntax. This > >> is not clear from the docstring. > > I think it's not about the syntax per se, but about whether Emacs handles > > the remoteness itself or it is the operating system's job. > > There's also the question of it means to be "remote". > Is a file accessed via /su:... remote? > What about a file accessed via NFS to a virtual machine running on the > same physical machine? Definitely. The closer you look at it the more elusive the thing becomes :) For the OP, I think the takeaway is that file-remote-p can only be about remoteness Emacs "knows about", i.e. where Emacs handles the protocol "bringing over" the file. So no NFS, no CIFS etc. Cheers -- t