On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 08:57:09AM +0000, Heime wrote: > ------- Original Message ------- > On Monday, October 31st, 2022 at 8:42 AM, wrote: [...] > Then, how is it that (symbol-value 'seqr) returns 5? There seems to be > a symbol and symbol-value returns 5. Please: read the docs yourself. Others can't do that for you. Specifically "12.7 Accessing Variable Values" in the Emacs Lisp manual. That a "symbol" has a "value" is just a shorthand notation for "a symbol" has "a value" associated to it via a variable. It can also have other things associated to it (a function, for example, also a property list). But it needn't, it can just exist on its own. > Yes, I have got really confused about what symbols are exactly. Even > after reading several times. I have never seen anybody make a symbol, > only variables. So, what is a symbol? 'foo (spedifically this coaxes the reader into creating one. The function behind that is intern. See there. Cheers -- t