On Sun, Oct 16, 2022 at 03:02:31PM +0000, Drew Adams wrote: > > > > > What is a 'moral equivalence' in Emacs Lisp? > > > > > > Probably just meant "no better or worse" (and not morally). > > > > Could it be that the writer of that docstring had > > > > ... is NORMALLY equivalent ... > > > > in mind? > > Yes, could well be. Maybe accidental. More likely > intentional, as Michael offered: "Only that kind of > slightly funny language Stefan sometimes uses I guess." Actually, I knew "moral equivalence" as a sloppy and idiomatic way of stating "equivalent under some criteria of interest in the current context" (of course, the criteria and the context are left unspecified ;-) The discussion led me to some research [1], and yikes. That rabbit hole was dark and deep indeed... Cheers [1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_equivalent -- t