* unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding
@ 2002-11-26 11:12 Dani Barral
From: Dani Barral @ 2002-11-26 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm trying to configure the keyboard of my laptop into something more
confortable for my hands. First I want to rebind some emacs commands and
after I'll exchange some control,alt,... keys in X.

The problem I having with GNU Emacs 21.2.1 is that the behaviour of the
Del key changes after this:

(global-unset-key "\C-d")
(global-set-key "\C-d" 'next-line)

Now everytime I press Del next-line is executed. However C-h Del returns:
<delete> runs the command "^D"
    which is a keyboard macro.

Could anybody what's wrong with those two bindings above?

Cheers

Dani

* Re: unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding
       [not found] <mailman.1038309259.17965.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-26 12:07 ` Fredrik Staxeng
From: Fredrik Staxeng @ 2002-11-26 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dani Barral <d.barral@staffs.ac.uk> writes:

>Hi,
>
>I'm trying to configure the keyboard of my laptop into something more
>confortable for my hands. First I want to rebind some emacs commands
>and after I'll exchange some control,alt,... keys in X.
>
>The problem I having with GNU Emacs 21.2.1 is that the behaviour of
>the Del key changes after this:
>
>(global-unset-key "\C-d")
>(global-set-key "\C-d" 'next-line)
>
>Now everytime I press Del next-line is executed. However C-h Del returns:
><delete> runs the command "^D"
>    which is a keyboard macro.
>
>Could anybody what's wrong with those two bindings above?

Nothing. The binding of <delete> assumes a standard
Emacs keymap. You will have to change that mapping as well.

In general, expect to change lots of bindings, and expect changes to
cascade. You will probably have a small maintenance burden when
you are done.

--
Fredrik Stax\"ang | rot13: sfgk@hcqngr.hh.fr

@ 2002-11-26 15:12 ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-26 15:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Now everytime I press Del next-line is executed. However C-h Del returns:
> <delete> runs the command "^D"
>     which is a keyboard macro.

This is not part of the default config, so it must come from your .emacs
or the default.el or site-start.el files (or you're running a modified
version of Emacs as is too often the case with standard distributions
not able to resist the temptation to "fix" things without understanding the
implications).

Try to start your emacs with `emacs -q --no-site-file' and see if
the problem is still there.

* Re: unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding
       [not found] <20021126141644.11922.11637.Mailman@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-26 15:20 ` Dani Barral
       [not found] ` <mailman.1038324336.1840.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dani Barral @ 2002-11-26 15:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Dani Barral <d.barral@staffs.ac.uk> writes:
>

>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm trying to configure the keyboard of my laptop into something more
>>confortable for my hands. First I want to rebind some emacs commands
>>and after I'll exchange some control,alt,... keys in X.
>>
>>The problem I having with GNU Emacs 21.2.1 is that the behaviour of
>>the Del key changes after this:
>>
>>(global-unset-key "\C-d")
>>(global-set-key "\C-d" 'next-line)
>>
>>Now everytime I press Del next-line is executed. However C-h Del returns:
>><delete> runs the command "^D"
>>   which is a keyboard macro.
>>
>>Could anybody what's wrong with those two bindings above?
>

> Nothing. The binding of <delete> assumes a standard
> Emacs keymap. You will have to change that mapping as well.
>
> In general, expect to change lots of bindings, and expect changes to
> cascade. You will probably have a small maintenance burden when
> you are done.

Here is the new binding of <delete> 	is there a nicer way to write it?

(define-key global-map [delete] (lambda () (interactive)
(delete-backward-char -1)))

Cheers

@ 2002-11-26 16:11   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-26 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1038324336.1840.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Dani Barral  <d.barral@staffs.ac.uk> wrote:
>Here is the new binding of <delete> 	is there a nicer way to write it?
>
>(define-key global-map [delete] (lambda () (interactive)
>(delete-backward-char -1)))

(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: unexpected Del behaviour after C-d binding
       [not found] <20021126161602.1025.15862.Mailman@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-26 16:56 ` Dani Barral
       [not found] ` <mailman.1038329872.24183.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dani Barral @ 2002-11-26 16:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

 >>> Now everytime I press Del next-line is executed. However C-h Del
 >>returns:
 >>> <delete> runs the command "^D"
 >>>     which is a keyboard macro.
 >>

 >>This is not part of the default config, so it must come from your
 >>.emacs or the default.el or site-start.el files (or you're running a
 >>modified version of Emacs as is too often the case with standard
 >>distributions not able to resist the temptation to "fix" things
 >>without understanding the implications).
 >>
 >>Try to start your emacs with `emacs -q --no-site-file' and see if
 >>the problem is still there.

You're right. That binding was in /etc/emacs/site-start.el

(Xlaunch (define-key global-map [(delete)] "\C-d"))

which is the mandrake configuration file for emacs. From this I
understand rewritting

(Xlaunch (define-key global-map [(delete)] 'delete-char))

is more appropiate isn't it?

Thanks also to Barry for reminding that delete-char exists.

@ 2002-11-26 23:19   ` Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>
From: Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com> @ 2002-11-26 23:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

> You're right. That binding was in /etc/emacs/site-start.el
> (Xlaunch (define-key global-map [(delete)] "\C-d"))
> which is the mandrake configuration file for emacs. From this I understand
> rewritting
> (Xlaunch (define-key global-map [(delete)] 'delete-char))
> is more appropiate isn't it?

I think it's more appropriate to just keep the default, rather than
any of those two alternatives.
Complaining to Mandrake is also a good thing to do.