[Forwarding to the list. For some reason, "Reply All" with my email client replies only to Stefan.] -----Original Message----- Sent: Sunday, February 26, 2023 8:06 AM To: 'Stefan Monnier' [Caveat: I haven't read the doc and am not familiar with native compilation. Just commenting on what I see written here (which is without context). If what I say helps, good; if not, please ignore.] > > (byte-compile-file "fib.el" t) ; doesn't work > > (load-file "fib.elc") ; doesn't work > > (load "/dev/shm/fib.elc" nil nil t) ; doesn't work > > We want the users to be able to load a `.elc` file even if a `.eln` file > has been generated. The way the users do that is by giving to > `load` the file name *with* the `.elc` extension. Of course, they can > also load the `.eln` file by specifying that file explicitly as well. If that's not already pointed out explicitly in the doc, it would help to do so. It can help _greatly_ to understand not only what happens but some of the logic behind that design. Once someone reads what you wrote there, things are much clearer, I think. > If you want to load "the most efficient option available", then just > don't specify any extension, and Emacs will load the `.el`, `.elc`, > or `.eln` file according to what it finds. Again, please point that out explicitly (though this one will be familiar to longtime Emacs users, as the same logic has long existed for *.el and *.elc).