* Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-09 19:40 Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-12-09 19:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: mbork, help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3294 bytes --]

Hi Marcin,
thanks for your advice.
I don't know Tex, Latex

> Even better, learn to ask Emacs itself for help.  Start with `C-h C-h'.
> Consider installing a package like `which-key', `guide-key' etc.
> Consider installing the `helpful' package.

I think I will do this. So I have to use emacs, which helps the most.

In emacs there is information about keybindings.
So I don't understand what would be helpful to install packages like
`which-key', `guide-key' etc.

Kind regards

Gottfried

From: Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl>
To: Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference
	card

On 2022-12-08, at 20:54, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

 > Hi,
 > I am learning Emacs, so please be patient with my basic questions.
 >
 > I started to read the manual on a daily basis.

Congratulations, this is a very good idea, and a big undertaking!

 > I would like to make some reference card like the Emacs reference card
 > for Emacs keybindings.
 >
 > I was looking on the web to find something and watched some videos, but
 > I didn't find anything yet.
 > Does somebody know some websites or videos on you tube?
 > It's about formatting text, after or before I start to write text.
 >
 > 1. I guess I have first to set up the right environment.
 > e.g. very small letters (how to do that?)
 >
 > 2. which mode should I choose?
 >
 > 3. I guess I have to create a rectangle with several columns
 > and enlarge it to the whole buffer / sheet
 >
 > 4. Then I have to enter text
 >
 > 5. How to do the formatting of the text?
 >    e.g which minor mode?
 >    e.g headings in bigger letters on the first line

The Emacs reference card is written in TeX.  Actually, in plain TeX, but
LaTeX is also well suited for that.

If you know (La)TeX already, you should know (more or less) what to do.
You can look up the file `etc/refcards/refcard.tex' in Emacs source code
(but if you prefer LaTeX over plain TeX, better not).  You might want to
use the `cheatsheet' LaTeX class (https://ctan.org/pkg/cheatsheet;
I haven't used that, it's just the result of me looking up CTAN.)

If you don't know (La)TeX, don't.  Just don't.  (And I say that as the
author of a LaTeX textbook and a long-time fan of all things TeX.)  It's
a huge rabbit hole you probably don't need right now.

 > Is there a better way?

Yes.  Use Anki or some other spaced repetition software
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spaced_repetition) to memorize the most
important stuff.  (There are at least 2 SR tools available in Emacs –
more precisely, in Org mode.)  Alternatively, use an Org file and don't
bother with exporting to print it.

Also, start small.  Write down a keybinding you think you would find
useful.  Make yourself use it at least once-twice per day, for a few
days.  Then do it with another one.  Rinse and repeat.

Even better, learn to ask Emacs itself for help.  Start with `C-h C-h'.
Consider installing a package like `which-key', `guide-key' etc.
Consider installing the `helpful' package.

Hth,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-09 22:17 ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-12-09 22:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: mbork, help-gnu-emacs

* Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2022-12-09 22:42]:
> Hi Marcin,
> thanks for your advice.
> I don't know Tex, Latex

Document Class for Reference Cards - TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange:
https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/99765/document-class-for-reference-cards

LaTeX Reference Card Creator download | SourceForge.net:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/latex-reference-card-creator/

Just do it, it is not hard.

--
Jean

https://www.fsf.org/campaigns

In support of Richard M. Stallman
https://stallmansupport.org/

* RE: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-09 22:24 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-12-09 22:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, mbork@mbork.pl, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > Even better, learn to ask Emacs itself for help.  Start with `C-h C-h'.

Hear!  Hear!

> > Consider installing a package like `which-key', `guide-key' etc...
>
> In emacs there is information about keybindings.
> So I don't understand what would be helpful to
> install packages like `which-key', `guide-key' etc.

I'll add `keysee.el' to that mix.

With vanilla Emacs, you're right, you can get info
about a given key binding (`C-h k').  And you can
get info about (most) prefix keys, by hitting the
prefix key and then hitting `C-h' (e.g. `C-h C-h').
And with recent Emacs releases (or with `help-fns+.el',
from which the vanilla feature was taken), you can
get info about any keymap - all of its key bindings.

Each of those help outputs is static: you ask for
info about some one thing and you get it.

The non-vanilla libraries mentioned above go beyond
this by providing _incremental_, on-the-fly info
about the keys that are currently available (e.g.
in the current set of modes), and what each key does.

For a key sequence that involves one or more prefix
keys (e.g. `C-x' or `C-x 4'), you can type the prefix
key(s) and see the possible completions - e.g. use
`C-x' and see completions $, ', (, ), *, +, -, ., 0
etc., ;, <, >, C-+, C--, C-0, C-;, C-=, C-@, C-SPC,...

For a top-level key sequence, i.e., before you hit
any key, some of these libraries show you all possible
keys you can use currently.

Some of them can include menus & their items as "keys".

Some of them let you drill down, up, and across, to
explore the entire key-sequence (and menu) forest.

Some of them let you sort completions (on the fly), to
show locally bound keys first, or prefix keys first, or
keys and their commands ordered by command name, or...

Some of them let you hit more keys to complete more
(perhaps completely).  Others let you type text to
match key or command names, to get the completions.
___

`keysee.el' is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/KeySee

The code is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/keysee.el

Key See needs also library `sortie.el', which is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/Sortie

The code is here:

https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/download/sortie.el
___

The first library to provide key completion was
Icicles - a little over 15 years ago!  The key
completion of Key See is based on that of Icicles
(without Icicles matching).

* Re: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-10 20:28   ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-12-10 20:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, mbork@mbork.pl, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 3343 bytes --]

Hi Drew,

thanks for help.

I don't yet understand exactly how it works.

AFAIU I have to copy parts of the source file of keysee.el and sorie.el
into my init.el file in order to install it.

But which parts?

this I should add:
(global-set-key (kbd "S-<f10>") 'kc-complete-menu-bar)

what is with that?
(require 'cl-macs) ;; cl-case, cl-loop
(require 'sortie)

Does it also belong to the part I have to copy into my init.el file?

There is text in between code, and AFAIU text should always have ;; at
the beginning, but there are not those ;;

so what is the real code?

i just started learning emacs, so please forgive my ignorance

kind regards

Gottfried

--

@ 2022-12-10 21:02     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <231e4551-5eb0-d472-8793-10c6cf24217b@posteo.de>
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-12-10 21:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, mbork@mbork.pl, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> Hi Drew,
> thanks for help.
> I don't yet understand exactly how it works.
>
> AFAIU I have to copy parts of the source file of keysee.el and sorie.el
> into my init.el file in order to install it.
>
> But which parts?
>
> this I should add:
> (global-set-key (kbd "S-<f10>") 'kc-complete-menu-bar)

That's only if you want to use `kc-complete-menu-bar'
(by hitting a key).

> what is with that?
> (require 'cl-macs) ;; cl-case, cl-loop
> (require 'sortie)
>
> Does it also belong to the part I have to copy into my init.el file?

Yes.
To use `keysee.el' you need to require `sortie.el',
And you need to require `cl-macs.el' (or `cl-lib.el').

> There is text in between code, and AFAIU text should always have ;; at
> the beginning, but there are not those ;;

Where do you see text between code (other than in
comments or strings)?  If that were the case in some
library then you couldn't load it.

> so what is the real code?
> i just started learning emacs, so please forgive my ignorance

There's nothing to forgive.  Sorry if I wasn't clear.
You should be able to first try it interactively,
i.e., without changing anything in your init file.
For that, you can just use `M-x load-library' to load
`cl-macs.el' and `M-x load-file to load `sortie.el'
and then `keysee.el'.

(Or put the latter two in a directory that you add to
your `load-path' and then load them too using
`M-x load-library' instead of `M-x load-file'.)

If you decide to use `keysee.el' then you might want
to put this or similar in your init file:

 (require 'cl-macs)
 (add-to-list 'load-path "/SOME/DIRECTORY/SOMEWHERE/")
 (require 'sortie)
 (require 'keysee)

where /SOME/DIRECTORY/SOMEWHERE/ is the directory
where you've saved `sortie.el' and `keysee.el'.

This is the "old-fashioned" way to use a library
(package).  The value of variable `load-path' is a
list of libraries and directories that contain
libraries.  Those libraries can be loaded using
`load-library' or `require' - Emacs looks for them
where `load-path' tells it to look.

See the Emacs manual, node `Lisp Libraries':

https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Lisp-Libraries.html

* Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-10 21:42   ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-12-10 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs

On 2022-12-09, at 23:17, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2022-12-09 22:42]:
>> Hi Marcin,
>> thanks for your advice.
>> I don't know Tex, Latex
>
> Document Class for Reference Cards - TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange:
> https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/99765/document-class-for-reference-cards
>
> LaTeX Reference Card Creator download | SourceForge.net:
> https://sourceforge.net/projects/latex-reference-card-creator/
>
> Just do it, it is not hard.

I didn't say it is "hard".  I said it's a huge rabbit hole, potentially
/very/ time-consuming, and possibly distracting from the main goal of
the OP.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-10 21:46     ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-12-10 21:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried; +Cc: Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

On 2022-12-10, at 21:28, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:

> Hi Drew,
>
> thanks for help.
>
> I don't yet understand exactly how it works.
>
> AFAIU I have to copy parts of the source file of keysee.el and sorie.el
> into my init.el file in order to install it.

That's why it might be a better idea to use `which-key' or `guide-key' -
you can install either of them with `package-install'.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-10 22:10       ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-12-10 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Gottfried, Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

* Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> [2022-12-11 00:47]:

> On 2022-12-10, at 21:28, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
>
> > Hi Drew,
> >
> > thanks for help.
> >
> > I don't yet understand exactly how it works.
> >
> > AFAIU I have to copy parts of the source file of keysee.el and sorie.el
> > into my init.el file in order to install it.
>
> That's why it might be a better idea to use `which-key' or `guide-key' -
> you can install either of them with `package-install'.

It does not matter where the Emacs package comes from. So many are not
in Elpa or Melpa. I don't even use Melpa through Emacs, but when I
need a package, I can download it directly and install it.

You just download sortie.el and keysee.el and keysee.el and use

{M-x package-install-file} to install both of them.

--

@ 2022-12-10 22:11     ` Jean Louis
From: Jean Louis @ 2022-12-10 22:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs

* Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> [2022-12-11 00:42]:

> On 2022-12-09, at 23:17, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>
> > * Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2022-12-09 22:42]:
> >> Hi Marcin,
> >> thanks for your advice.
> >> I don't know Tex, Latex
> >
> > Document Class for Reference Cards - TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange:
> > https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/99765/document-class-for-reference-cards
> >
> > LaTeX Reference Card Creator download | SourceForge.net:
> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/latex-reference-card-creator/
> >
> > Just do it, it is not hard.
>
> I didn't say it is "hard".  I said it's a huge rabbit hole, potentially
> /very/ time-consuming, and possibly distracting from the main goal of
> the OP.

Is there any practical different way for reference cards with a lot of
information on single sheet?

--

@ 2022-12-10 22:39       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2022-12-10 22:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jean Louis; +Cc: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs

On 2022-12-10, at 23:11, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:

> * Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> [2022-12-11 00:42]:
>>
>> On 2022-12-09, at 23:17, Jean Louis <bugs@gnu.support> wrote:
>>
>> > * Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> [2022-12-09 22:42]:
>> >
>> > Document Class for Reference Cards - TeX - LaTeX Stack Exchange:
>> > https://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/99765/document-class-for-reference-cards
>> >
>> > LaTeX Reference Card Creator download | SourceForge.net:
>> > https://sourceforge.net/projects/latex-reference-card-creator/
>> >
>> > Just do it, it is not hard.
>>
>> I didn't say it is "hard".  I said it's a huge rabbit hole, potentially
>> /very/ time-consuming, and possibly distracting from the main goal of
>> the OP.
>
> Is there any practical different way for reference cards with a lot of
> information on single sheet?

Obviously - you could use LibreOffice, for example.  But my main point
is that OP (most probably) does not need a reference card, but something
else.  I suspect an XY problem here.

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
http://mbork.pl

* Re: [External] : Re: how can I make a reference card like the Emacs reference, card
@ 2022-12-11 12:18         ` Gottfried
From: Gottfried @ 2022-12-11 12:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski, Drew Adams, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 1114 bytes --]

Hello,

thanks for helping.

I was looking for the download page, but I got always to the description.

Where can I download it from?
because this would be easier for me.

--
Kind regards

Gottfried

Am 10.12.22 um 23:10 schrieb Jean Louis:
> * Marcin Borkowski <mbork@mbork.pl> [2022-12-11 00:47]:
>>
>> On 2022-12-10, at 21:28, Gottfried <gottfried@posteo.de> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi Drew,
>>>
>>> thanks for help.
>>>
>>> I don't yet understand exactly how it works.
>>>
>>> AFAIU I have to copy parts of the source file of keysee.el and sorie.el
>>> into my init.el file in order to install it.
>>
>> That's why it might be a better idea to use `which-key' or `guide-key' -
>> you can install either of them with `package-install'.
>
> It does not matter where the Emacs package comes from. So many are not
> in Elpa or Melpa. I don't even use Melpa through Emacs, but when I
> need a package, I can download it directly and install it.
>
> You just download sortie.el and keysee.el and keysee.el and use
>
> {M-x package-install-file} to install both of them.

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* about keysee
@ 2022-12-11 12:51       ` Gottfried
       [not found]       ` <231e4551-5eb0-d472-8793-10c6cf24217b@posteo.de>
From: Gottfried @ 2022-12-11 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams, mbork@mbork.pl, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

[-- Attachment #1.1.1: Type: text/plain, Size: 377 bytes --]

Am 10.12.22 um 22:02 schrieb Drew Adams:
> For that, you can just use `M-x load-library' to load
> `cl-macs.el' and `M-x load-file to load `sortie.el'
> and then `keysee.el'.

I did a
M-x load-library to load cl-macs.el
this was o.k.

But when I did a
M-x load-file to load "sortie.el" and "keysee.el"
it couldn't find it.

--
Kind regards

Gottfried

[-- Attachment #1.1.2: OpenPGP public key --]

* Re: about keysee
@ 2022-12-11 14:45         ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-12-11 14:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> For that, you can just use `M-x load-library' to load
>> `cl-macs.el' and `M-x load-file to load `sortie.el'
>> and then `keysee.el'.

You should never need to load/require explicitly `cl-macs`.
Instead you should load/require `cl-lib` (which will then load cl-macs
and other parts of cl-lib as/when needed).
If you need to manually load `cl-macs` there's probably a bug somewhere.

* RE: [External] : about keysee
@ 2022-12-11 16:10         ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2022-12-11 16:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Gottfried, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

> > For that, you can just use `M-x load-library' to load
> > `cl-macs.el' and `M-x load-file to load `sortie.el'
> > and then `keysee.el'.
>
> I did a M-x load-library to load cl-macs.el
> this was o.k.
> But when I did a M-x load-file to load
> "sortie.el" and "keysee.el" it couldn't find it.

`load-file' reads an absolute file name.  You
need to first have downloaded those two files
from the links I gave you.  The file names you
give to `load-file' are the locations where
you saved the files.

This is one reason `load-library' exists: so
you don't need to specify the file location.
You just put the files in some directory that
you add to your `load-path', and then use
`M-x load-library'.  It looks for the files
using the paths in your `load-path'.

* Re: about keysee
@ 2022-12-14 20:46           ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-12-14 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>> For that, you can just use `M-x load-library' to load
>> `cl-macs.el' and `M-x load-file to load `sortie.el' and
>> then `keysee.el'.
>
> You should never need to load/require explicitly `cl-macs`.
> Instead you should load/require `cl-lib` (which will then
> load cl-macs and other parts of cl-lib as/when needed).
> If you need to manually load `cl-macs` there's probably
> a bug somewhere.

You should not _need_ to do it but shouldn't it still work
_if_ you do it?

Whatever is provided from there, I mean.

--
underground experts united
https://dataswamp.org/~incal

* Re: about keysee
@ 2022-12-15  4:50             ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2022-12-15  4:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Emanuel Berg [2022-12-14 21:46:42] wrote:
> Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:
>>> For that, you can just use `M-x load-library' to load
>>> `cl-macs.el' and `M-x load-file to load `sortie.el' and
>>> then `keysee.el'.
>>
>> You should never need to load/require explicitly `cl-macs`.
>> Instead you should load/require `cl-lib` (which will then
>> load cl-macs and other parts of cl-lib as/when needed).
>> If you need to manually load `cl-macs` there's probably
>> a bug somewhere.
>
> You should not _need_ to do it but shouldn't it still work
> _if_ you do it?

Maybe it will work "here and now".
But if you care about it working for past and/or future versions of Emacs...
[ As maintainers, we worry a lot about this, because the more people
  rely on internal details the harder it is to change them.  ]

* Re: about keysee
@ 2022-12-15  5:10               ` Emanuel Berg
From: Emanuel Berg @ 2022-12-15  5:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor wrote:

>>> If you need to manually load `cl-macs` there's probably
>>> a bug somewhere.
>>
>> You should not _need_ to do it but shouldn't it still work
>> _if_ you do it?
>
> Maybe it will work "here and now".
> But if you care about it working for past and/or future
> versions of Emacs... [ As maintainers, we worry a lot about
> this, because the more people rely on internal details the
> harder it is to change them. ]

Yes, I understand, what I mean is in general, if you use
something, say a function f, you do `C-h f' on that and see
that it is defined in some file, say file F, you then look
downmost in that file and see (provide 'F), shouldn't it then
follow that you can just do (require 'F), use f, and that is
(1) correct and (2) enough?

Instead of having special rules, like the one for `cl-lib' in
this sense, shouldn't it instead be up to F to `require'
anything and everything _it_ requires, to provide whatever it
is it is `provide'ing?

And besides don't you want that anyway?

Because if I don't do that with my files, the byte-compiler
complains about undefined functions and stuff ...

Why is this any different?

Do you move things around a lot in the `cl-lib' files, is that
the problem? But as long as the files remain and _they_ load
the whole library first thing - if needed - it's not
a problem, either?

Or what am I missing?

--
underground experts united