* Problem finding multiple tags with same tagname
@ 2004-06-08  0:34 Andrew Shepard
From: Andrew Shepard @ 2004-06-08  0:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm searching for tags in a TAGS file created by etags.  However, I'm
unable to look for more than one tag with the same name when I follow
instructions given in the book "Learning GNU Emacs"

Here's an example where I'm looking for multiple instances of the
function Play():

ESC-.
Play RETURN
(I am correctly taken to the first instance of the Play() function)

ESC-,

Message returned by Emacs is: 'No M-x tags-search or M-x
tags-query-replace in progress'

Note that if I do a ESC-x tags-search on a tagname and follow with ESC-,
emacs takes me to all the instances of the tagname.  It looks like the
book I have might have an error in it.  However, if this is the case how
do I find multiple instances of tags after using the ESC-. command?

Thanks in advance.

Andy ...

* Re: Problem finding multiple tags with same tagname
@ 2004-06-08  0:57 ` Andrew Shepard
From: Andrew Shepard @ 2004-06-08  0:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Solution found:

After reading the online Emacs manual it became apparent that the
"Learning GNU Emacs" book is in error. The "correct" way to find
successive tags is to use the following:

C-u M-.

Andy ...

@ 2004-06-08  6:35   ` Kai Grossjohann
From: Kai Grossjohann @ 2004-06-08  6:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

Andrew Shepard <ashepard2001@yahoo.com> writes:

> After reading the online Emacs manual it became apparent that the
> "Learning GNU Emacs" book is in error.

It appears that many people like to either read a book or read a web
page.

But the documentation that comes with Emacs is very easily accessible
and corresponds to the Emacs version you're actually using.  Many
problems could be avoided by reading the right version of the
documentation.

Just hit C-h i d m Emacs RET to read the Emacs manual.

Kai

PS: Contrary to popular belief, the info reader does have a back
    button.  It's `l'.

* Re: Problem finding multiple tags with same tagname
@ 2004-06-08  7:43     ` gebser
From: gebser @ 2004-06-08  7:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

=
= > After reading the online Emacs manual it became apparent that the
= > "Learning GNU Emacs" book is in error.
=
= It appears that many people like to either read a book or read a web
= page.
=
= But the documentation that comes with Emacs is very easily accessible
= and corresponds to the Emacs version you're actually using.  Many
= problems could be avoided by reading the right version of the
= documentation.
=
= Just hit C-h i d m Emacs RET to read the Emacs manual.
=
= Kai
=
= PS: Contrary to popular belief, the info reader does have a back
=     button.  It's `l'.

For the mouse-oriented, you can also click on "Help | Manual".

Hey, thanks for that.  I've been using the info reader for a long time
and didn't know about the 'l' (el).

ken