* isearch and  M-x occur questions(several)
@ 2003-04-25 18:23 Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-04-25 18:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all:

I'm running emacs 21.2.1 on WindowsXP.

I have just discovered "M-x occur" and like it very much.

1.  Is there a way, or an already existing package, to combine isearch and
occur. What I like about occur is the window that lists the line number and
matching expression. Is there a way that isearch could do something similar?
I like the ability to quickly run through all matches in isearch using
isearch-forward, but would also like the option of having that window simply
show me all lines with matches.

2.  Can the occur-mode window, which lists all line with matching
expressions, display the line in the particular font-lock-face for the mode
of the file being searched? For example, if my expression happens to exist
in a C function prototype, the occur-more window would show that line with
the appropriate c-mode faces.

3.  Can occur highlight the matching expression in the occur-mode window?

I hope that my questions make sense. Thanks in advance.

--
=======
Javier

* Re: isearch and  M-x occur questions(several)
@ 2003-04-25 18:26 ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-04-25 18:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Please ignore question numbers 2 and 3. Occur-mode already handles these
issues.

--
=======
Javier

@ 2003-04-26 14:16 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2003-04-26 14:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Javier Oviedo" <email_joviedo@yahoo.com> writes:

> 1.  Is there a way, or an already existing package, to combine isearch and
> occur. What I like about occur is the window that lists the line number and
> matching expression. Is there a way that isearch could do something similar?
> I like the ability to quickly run through all matches in isearch using
> isearch-forward, but would also like the option of having that window simply
> show me all lines with matches.

Maybe M-x occur RET could default to (regexp-quote
THE-LAST-ISEARCH-STRING).  But this is unimplemented.

Another useful thing might be to bind a key in isearch-mode-map that
runs occur with the right options.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)

* Re: isearch and  M-x occur questions(several)
@ 2003-04-26 19:00   ` Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-04-26 19:00 UTC (permalink / raw)

kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Another useful thing might be to bind a key in isearch-mode-map that
> runs occur with the right options.

I like that.

(defun isearch-occur ()
  "Run `occur' with current isearch string."
  (interactive)
  (let ((case-fold-search isearch-case-fold-search)
	(search-string (if isearch-regexp
			   isearch-string
			 (regexp-quote isearch-string))))
    (occur search-string)))

(define-key isearch-mode-map [(control o)] 'isearch-occur)

--
Johan Bockgård

* Re: isearch and  M-x occur questions(several)
@ 2003-04-26 20:02     ` drf5n
From: drf5n @ 2003-04-26 20:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

[-- Attachment #1: Type: TEXT/PLAIN; charset=X-UNKNOWN, Size: 687 bytes --]

On Sat, 26 Apr 2003, Johan [iso-8859-1] Bockgård wrote:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
> I like that.
>
> (defun isearch-occur ()
>   "Run `occur' with current isearch string."
>   (interactive)
>   (let ((case-fold-search isearch-case-fold-search)
> 	(search-string (if isearch-regexp
> 			   isearch-string
> 			 (regexp-quote isearch-string))))
>     (occur search-string)))
>
> (define-key isearch-mode-map [(control o)] 'isearch-occur)

I like it too.   I didn't know of occur.   Thanks!

Dave
--
 Dave Forrest    (434)924-3954w(111B) (804)642-0662h (804)695-2026p
 drf5n@virginia.edu             http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/

* Re: isearch and  M-x occur questions(several)
@ 2003-04-28 13:51     ` Javier Oviedo
From: Javier Oviedo @ 2003-04-28 13:51 UTC (permalink / raw)