* how to open an uninstalled info file from within emacs
@ 2002-09-24 13:17 Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2002-09-24 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

  in my quest to now learn elisp, i wanted to read "programming in
emacs lisp (2nd ed.)", using the info form of that doc.  i've already
figured out that, when i'm in regular emacs, i can open up an info
document with "C-h i" and, conveniently, if there are elisp expressions,
i can execute them with "C-x C-e".

  however, the info form of the document i want to read, while it is
downloadable from www.fsf.org, is not part of the installed info
library on my latest version of red hat.

  so, from within emacs, how can i open in info mode a specific
info file that i've downloaded from the net?  (short of installing
it, that is; i want to be able to do this to arbitrary info files
that i might download from arbitrary locations.)

  am i making any sense here?

rday

* Re: how to open an uninstalled info file from within emacs
       [not found] <mailman.1032873383.12862.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-24 13:23 ` Klaus Berndl
From: Klaus Berndl @ 2002-09-24 13:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Robert P. J. Day wrote:

>    in my quest to now learn elisp, i wanted to read "programming in
>  emacs lisp (2nd ed.)", using the info form of that doc.  i've already
>  figured out that, when i'm in regular emacs, i can open up an info
>  document with "C-h i" and, conveniently, if there are elisp expressions,
>  i can execute them with "C-x C-e".
>
>    however, the info form of the document i want to read, while it is
>  downloadable from www.fsf.org, is not part of the installed info
>  library on my latest version of red hat.
>
>    so, from within emacs, how can i open in info mode a specific
>  info file that i've downloaded from the net?  (short of installing
>  it, that is; i want to be able to do this to arbitrary info files
>  that i might download from arbitrary locations.)
>
>    am i making any sense here?

If i understand you right you do not want install these info-files in any path
where Emacs searches autom., right?!

If yes, then just press "C-u C-h i" instead of just "C-h i" and you will be
asked for the filename of an info-file to open.

Klaus

--
Klaus Berndl			mailto: klaus.berndl@sdm.de
sd&m AG				http://www.sdm.de

@ 2002-09-24 13:33 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-09-24 13:33 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:

>   so, from within emacs, how can i open in info mode a specific
> info file that i've downloaded from the net?

C-u C-h i

>   am i making any sense here?

Yep. :-)

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: how to open an uninstalled info file from within emacs
@ 2002-09-24 14:17   ` Robert P. J. Day
From: Robert P. J. Day @ 2002-09-24 14:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jonas Steverud wrote:

> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:
>
> >   so, from within emacs, how can i open in info mode a specific
> > info file that i've downloaded from the net?
>
> C-u C-h i

ok, i'll bite -- why does adding the "C-u" universal argument on the front
of "C-h i" cause this behavior?  it certainly isn't intuitive, at least
not to me.  should i have guessed this somehow?

       [not found] <mailman.1032877016.19290.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-24 14:40 ` Jesper Harder
From: Jesper Harder @ 2002-09-24 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jonas Steverud wrote:
>
>> "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:
>>
>> > how can i open in info mode a specific info file that i've
>> > downloaded from the net?
>>
>> C-u C-h i
>
> ok, i'll bite -- why does adding the "C-u" universal argument on the
> front of "C-h i" cause this behavior?  it certainly isn't intuitive,
> at least not to me.  should i have guessed this somehow?

It's probably hard to guess, but `C-h k C-h i' would have told you.  The
node "(emacs)Misc Help" also mentions it.

@ 2002-09-24 17:55 ` Thomas F. Burdick
From: Thomas F. Burdick @ 2002-09-24 17:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:

> On Tue, 24 Sep 2002, Jonas Steverud wrote:
>
> > "Robert P. J. Day" <rpjday@mindspring.com> writes:
> >
> > >   so, from within emacs, how can i open in info mode a specific
> > > info file that i've downloaded from the net?
> >
> > C-u C-h i
>
> ok, i'll bite -- why does adding the "C-u" universal argument on the front
> of "C-h i" cause this behavior?  it certainly isn't intuitive, at least
> not to me.  should i have guessed this somehow?

It is intuitive when you've internalized some of the logic of C-u, and
I originally found it by guessing -- but that's not to say I would've
expected J. Random Emacsuser to necessarily guess it.

For commands where a numeric argument makes sense, they generally take
a numeric argument as a repeat count.  For commands where a numeric
argument doesn't make sense, they generally give you an expanded
version of the command.  For C-s, this means using a regexp search.
For something like C-x C-f (when you're using ffap), this means
defaulting to whatever "thing" is right at or around the point.  For
something like C-h i, which has a default place to look (the system
info dir file), this means prompting you for a different place.

I found this originally by saying, "I want to look at this info file,
but C-h i is defaulting to the wrong place ... maybe an `expanded'
version of this would let me choose the default place".

--
         ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |