* *.el files
@ 2002-09-09  8:51 Raimund.Kohl
From: Raimund.Kohl @ 2002-09-09  8:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I've downloaded wiki.el and planner.el -- now: where do I move the files
to so that emacs can find them. If I just leave them in my /home/user
directory and put (load emacs-wiki) and (load planner) in my .emacs file
they cause lisp error messages. What am I going to do - respectivly: what
did I do wrong?

greetings, ray

* Re: *.el files
       [not found] <mailman.1031561802.29468.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-09-09 11:26 ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-09-09 11:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de writes:

> I've downloaded wiki.el and planner.el -- now: where do I move the files
> to so that emacs can find them. If I just leave them in my /home/user
> directory and put (load emacs-wiki) and (load planner) in my .emacs file
> they cause lisp error messages. What am I going to do - respectivly: what
> did I do wrong?

Type C-h v load-path RET.  You'll see a list of possible
directories.  If you don't like any of them, you can put something
like the following in ~/.emacs:

(add-to-list 'load-path "~/lisp/")

Also, I suggest (require 'emacs-wiki) and (require 'planner) instead
of the load statements.  Note the single quotes -- only one in each
statement.

kai

@ 2002-09-09 11:37 ` Jonas Steverud
From: Jonas Steverud @ 2002-09-09 11:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de writes:

> I've downloaded wiki.el and planner.el -- now: where do I move the files
> to so that emacs can find them.

You have to put them in a directory that is listed in the variable
load-path. Or put them in a directory and add the directory to the variable.

My suggestion:

Create a directory ELisp, where you place all such files, in your home
directory and then add
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/ELisp/"))
to your .emacs.

If you create subdirectories to ELisp you have to add them too, i.e.
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/ELisp/"))
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/ELisp/SubDir1"))
(add-to-list 'load-path (expand-file-name "~/ELisp/SubDir2"))

--
(          www.dtek.chalmers.se/~d4jonas/         !     Wei Wu Wei     )
(        Meaning of U2 Lyrics, Roleplaying        !  To Do Without Do  )

* Re: *.el files
@ 2002-09-09 13:48   ` Raimund.Kohl
From: Raimund.Kohl @ 2002-09-09 13:48 UTC (permalink / raw)

On Mon, 9 Sep 2002, Kai [iso-8859-15] Großjohann wrote:

> Also, I suggest (require 'emacs-wiki) and (require 'planner) instead
> of the load statements.  Note the single quotes -- only one in each
> statement.

Thank you very much, kai. Is there a special reason for using requite
instead of load?

ray

* Re: *.el files
@ 2002-09-09 16:28     ` Marco Baringer
From: Marco Baringer @ 2002-09-09 16:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de writes:

> Thank you very much, kai. Is there a special reason for using requite
> instead of load?

require will load the file (not really, but see the docs for require
for the gory details) only if it has not already been loaded, load
will always load it. in your .emacs it's not a big difference since
that only gets loaded once, but the convention is to use require
everywhere.

--
-Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.

@ 2002-09-09 17:49 ` kgold
From: kgold @ 2002-09-09 17:49 UTC (permalink / raw)

They have to be in a directory in your "load-path".  Here's a sample of
how to set a load-path in your .emacs.

(setq load-path
      (append '("~/emacs") load-path))

In article <mailman.1031561802.29468.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,