* insert/overwrite-mode toggle
@ 2002-10-24 21:24 CarlC
From: CarlC @ 2002-10-24 21:24 UTC (permalink / raw)

I am wanting to have my insert key toggle between insert and overwrite. I
imagine someone out there is already doing this? Thanks.

* Re: insert/overwrite-mode toggle
@ 2002-10-24 22:19 ` Richard V. Molen
From: Richard V. Molen @ 2002-10-24 22:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:

> I am wanting to have my insert key toggle between insert and overwrite. I
> imagine someone out there is already doing this? Thanks.

In Emacs 21.2, C-h k <insert> (<-- the insert key) shows...

<insert> runs the command overwrite-mode
   which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
(overwrite-mode ARG)

Toggle overwrite mode.
With arg, turn overwrite mode on iff arg is positive.
In overwrite mode, printing characters typed in replace existing text
on a one-for-one basis, rather than pushing it to the right.  At the
end of a line, such characters extend the line.  Before a tab,
such characters insert until the tab is filled in.
C-q still inserts characters in overwrite mode; this
is supposed to make it easier to insert characters when necessary.

...If you're using a *nix console or xterm your termcap may not be
identifying the key, but that's beyond my experience -- google search
may help.

--
Richard V. Molen

Warning!!
Signature under construction, safety glasses required.

* Re: insert/overwrite-mode toggle
@ 2002-10-25  0:23   ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-10-25  0:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <u1y6fwkd4.fsf@bambecksystems.com>,
Richard V. Molen <rvmolen@bambecksystems.com> wrote:
>"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
>
>> I am wanting to have my insert key toggle between insert and overwrite. I
>> imagine someone out there is already doing this? Thanks.
>
>In Emacs 21.2, C-h k <insert> (<-- the insert key) shows...

><insert> runs the command overwrite-mode

And in 20.x as well.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA

* Re: insert/overwrite-mode toggle
@ 2002-10-25 12:19 ` Kevin Dziulko
From: Kevin Dziulko @ 2002-10-25 12:19 UTC (permalink / raw)

Start emacs and go to the *scratch* buffer. Press Control-q. Now hit your
insert key. You will see some weird characters, something like ^[[1~.
Remember those characters.  Then in you .emacs file, put in a line like:
(global-set-key "\e[1~" 'overwrite-mode)
where the [1~ are the characters you remembered, minus the first ^[.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

       [not found] <mailman.1035548430.6132.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-10-25 13:06 ` CarlC
From: CarlC @ 2002-10-25 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Kevin Dziulko" <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> wrote in message
> Start emacs and go to the *scratch* buffer. Press Control-q. Now hit your
> insert key. You will see some weird characters, something like ^[[1~.
> Remember those characters.  Then in you .emacs file, put in a line like:
> (global-set-key "\e[1~" 'overwrite-mode)
> where the [1~ are the characters you remembered, minus the first ^[.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
> Kevin

Thank you. This solved my problem.