* how to override bad coloring in shell-script-mode?
       [not found] <E19NTay-0000kN-9U@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-04  9:06 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-06-04  9:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

The following is a sample from a bash script I've been working on.

  grep "<<$SF>>" $HOME/.todo/$TODOLIST > $HOME/p
  ade=$?
  rm $HOME/p

Now that I have color in my rxvt, I'm noticing something bad: everything
after the line containing the "<<" is in sh-heredoc-face until the code
comes to another line containing "<<" and ">>".  Note, however, that it is
not the _next_ line containing those strings that stops the yellow tide,
but one rather far along in the code. Then things are normal for a while,
then back to sh-heredoc-face.

This bad behaviour is not present in XEmacs, interestingly enough.

I'll submit a bug report on this shortly, but in the mean time I'd like to
know how to get Emacs to ignore everything having to do with "here docs".

Thanks,

Joe

* Re: how to override bad coloring in shell-script-mode?
       [not found] <mailman.7265.1054717678.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-04 16:06 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2003-06-04 16:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

>   grep "<<$SF>>" $HOME/.todo/$TODOLIST > $HOME/p

It seems indeed to trigger a bug in sh-script in that it doesn't
notice that << is inside quotes (it looks like the bug appears
only if there's nothing between the " and the <<).

> This bad behaviour is not present in XEmacs, interestingly enough.

I believe XEmacs uses completely different code for that mode.
Does it do anything at all with here documents ?

> I'll submit a bug report on this shortly, but in the mean time I'd like to
> know how to get Emacs to ignore everything having to do with "here docs".

No need to file a bug report, this bug is fixed in the CVS version of Emacs.
In the mean time, you might be able to fix the bug instead, with:

      (defadvice sh-font-lock-heredoc (before bug-fix activate)
        (setq start (1+ start)))

If you prefer to turn it all off try something like:

    (add-hook 'sh-mode-hook
      (lambda ()
        ;; Disable buggy heredoc matching in Emacs-21.[123].
        (defun sh-font-lock-heredoc (&rest r) nil)))

-- Stefan