* installing AUCTeX with NTEmacs
@ 2003-05-03 10:14 Rajneesh Hegde
From: Rajneesh Hegde @ 2003-05-03 10:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

hi,
I installed AUCTeX in the ...emacs\site-lisp directory
and put "(load "tex-site")" in my .emacs file.
however, emacs doesn't seem to be aware of AUCTeX yet.
(for instance, the usual key-bindings haven't taken
place, or the AUCTeX variables are still undefined)
what am I missing? thanks for the help,

Rajneesh.

* Re: installing AUCTeX with NTEmacs
@ 2003-05-03 12:51 ` David Kastrup
From: David Kastrup @ 2003-05-03 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

Rajneesh Hegde <rdh@oak.math.gatech.edu> writes:

> hi,
> I installed AUCTeX in the ...emacs\site-lisp directory
> and put "(load "tex-site")" in my .emacs file.
> however, emacs doesn't seem to be aware of AUCTeX yet.
> (for instance, the usual key-bindings haven't taken
> place, or the AUCTeX variables are still undefined)
> what am I missing? thanks for the help,

Try

emacs --debug-init

I would suspect that Emacs does not get through to the load for some
reason.

* Re: installing AUCTeX with NTEmacs
@ 2003-05-03 21:42   ` Rajneesh Hegde
From: Rajneesh Hegde @ 2003-05-03 21:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

> Try
> emacs --debug-init
>
> I would suspect that Emacs does not get through to the load for some
> reason.

thanks, it turned out the problem was my .emacs invoked
desktop-load-default and desktop-read before loading
tex-site, instead of doing it at the end. still not
sure why exactly it caused the problem.. should I even
have the desktop-load-default in there? (I just blindly
copied it from the emacs manual, and the help on that
function wasn't very helpful)
does emacs save desktop while quitting only if the
desktop file is already in the working directory, or if
desktop-enable is non-nil?

Rajneesh.