* Tracing changes to elisp reference manual
@ 2024-09-12 18:40 Abraham S.A.H. via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Abraham S.A.H. via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-09-12 18:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help Gnu Emacs

Hey,

Greet everyone. Sorry for noise.

I have noticed a new closure section in elisp manual's “lisp data types section”.
“(elisp) Top > Lisp Data Types > Programming Types > Closure Type”

And I wonder, how can someone find out what are the new additions/removals/changes to elisp manual from the previous version?

For instance, when using Emacs 30.1 I want to know what have been changed in Emacs Lisp Reference Manual since version 29.4.

I have checked “view-emacs-news” (C-h n); it does show latest changes into Emacs Lisp, but not current version's major changes to Elisp manual.

Is there any changelog or news for that?

--
Best Regards,
Abraham

* Re: Tracing changes to elisp reference manual
@ 2024-09-12 19:22 ` Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Stefan Monnier via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-09-12 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I have checked “view-emacs-news” (C-h n); it does show latest changes into
> Emacs Lisp, but not current version's major changes to Elisp manual.

Usually the two are closely related.

> Is there any changelog or news for that?

`view-emacs-news` is the closest there is.  Of course, there's always
`git diff`.  🙂

* Re: Tracing changes to elisp reference manual
@ 2024-09-15  0:46 Abraham S.A.H. via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor
From: Abraham S.A.H. via Users list for the GNU Emacs text editor @ 2024-09-15  0:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Monnier; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

> > I have checked “view-emacs-news” (C-h n); it does show latest changes into> > Emacs Lisp, but not current version's major changes to Elisp manual.>> Usually the two are closely related.>> > Is there any changelog or news for that?>> `view-emacs-news` is the closest there is.  Of course, there's always> `git diff`.  🙂>>>        Stefan
I forgot that I disabled mail delivery of this list.  So, mistakenly resent this question to Emacs devel list (supposing no one answered me here).

Thanks, Stefan, I think “git diff” is the good for my purpose.  Eli also proposed using standalone diff when I just have two versions info files, which I have.

--

@ 2024-09-15 13:41 ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2024-09-15 13:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Abraham S.A.H.; +Cc: Help Gnu Emacs

>>> Is there any changelog or news for that?
>> `view-emacs-news` is the closest there is.
>> Of course, there's always `git diff`.  🙂
> Thanks, Stefan, I think “git diff” is the good for my purpose.  Eli also
> proposed using standalone diff when I just have two versions info files,
> which I have.

Side note: "diff"ing the Texinfo files may result in a bit less noise
than "diff"ing the Info files (I'm thinking of changes that don't really
change the content, such as re-filling the text).