* An interactive command definiftion
@ 2004-08-11 12:40 Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2004-08-11 12:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi, all.

Here's my question. In Gnu emacs lisp programming language:
first I define a variable called my-weather and assign a value to it by
saying, e.g.,

(setq my-weather 'sunshine)

. Then I want to define a command, let's call it manage-my-weather,
that prompts me the message:

my-weather is now: sunshine. If it is okay, press enter; if you to change
it, press c

. Of course, if my-weather were rain, the message should be:

my-weather is now: rain. If it is okay, press enter; if you to change it,
press c

. Then, after pressing c (and then enter, I suppose),
manage-my-weather should prompt this new message:

enter new value for my-weather

, this way allowing me to change my-weather's value at my pleasure.
Is it possible to do this, and how?

Thanks in advance,
                Rodolfo

* Re: An interactive command definiftion
       [not found] <mailman.803.1092228211.2011.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2004-08-11 12:51 ` Oliver Scholz
From: Oliver Scholz @ 2004-08-11 12:51 UTC (permalink / raw)

"Rodolfo Medina" <romeomedina@libero.it> writes:

[...]
> . Then I want to define a command, let's call it manage-my-weather,
> that prompts me the message:
>
> my-weather is now: sunshine. If it is okay, press enter; if you to change
> it, press c
>
> . Of course, if my-weather were rain, the message should be:
>
> my-weather is now: rain. If it is okay, press enter; if you to change it,
> press c
>

> . Then, after pressing c (and then enter, I suppose),
> manage-my-weather should prompt this new message:
>
> enter new value for my-weather
>
> , this way allowing me to change my-weather's value at my pleasure.
> Is it possible to do this, and how?

Instead of a string you may also put a lisp form into the interactive
specification; in that case the form, when evaluated, should return a
list of values for the argument list of the function. This provides
the freedom necessary to achieve what you want:

(defun manage-my-weather (input-char)
  (interactive
   (let ((prompt (format "my-weather is now: %s.  Press `c' to change."
			 my-weather)))
     (list (read-char prompt))))
  (when (eq input-char ?c)
    (setq my-weather
	  (intern (read-from-minibuffer "New weather: ")))))

    Oliver
--
25 Thermidor an 212 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!

* Re: An interactive command definiftion
@ 2004-08-11 15:35   ` Rodolfo Medina
From: Rodolfo Medina @ 2004-08-11 15:35 UTC (permalink / raw)

>This provides
>the freedom necessary to achieve what you want:
>
>(defun manage-my-weather (input-char)
>  (interactive
>   (let ((prompt (format "my-weather is now: %s.  Press `c' to change."
>			 my-weather)))
>     (list (read-char prompt))))
>  (when (eq input-char ?c)
>    (setq my-weather
>	  (intern (read-from-minibuffer "New weather: ")))))
>

>   Oliver

I tried it, and it seems to work perfectly! Thanks indeed.
									Rodolfo