* Conversion OEM to ANSI?
@ 2008-03-11 20:46 gooliver
From: gooliver @ 2008-03-11 20:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I've most text-files created with EDIT.EXE in Dos-Window.
Emacs shows wrong characters (à, è, ì...) because
these files are in OEM format.

How to convert these OEM text-files in ANSI text-files?

---
THANX

* Re: Conversion OEM to ANSI?
@ 2008-03-12  5:39 ` Kevin Rodgers
       [not found] ` <mailman.8744.1205300412.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-03-12  5:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

gooliver wrote:

> I've most text-files created with EDIT.EXE in Dos-Window.
> Emacs shows wrong characters (à, è, ì...) because
> these files are in OEM format.
>
> How to convert these OEM text-files in ANSI text-files?

1. Tell Emacs how the file is encoded when you visit it.
2. Tell Emacs how you want the file to be encoded when you save it.

Read the Fine Manual, starting with the Coding Systems section (under
International Character Set Support) through Specifying a Coding System
for File Text.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: Conversion OEM to ANSI?
@ 2008-03-12  9:19 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found] ` <mailman.8744.1205300412.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-03-12  9:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: gooliver; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 11.03.2008 um 21:46 schrieb gooliver:

> How to convert these OEM text-files in ANSI text-files?

Once you've found which code page is used you could use recode to
convert the files' contents – or tell GNU Emacs which code page is
used in those files.

--
Greetings

   Pete

I love deadlines. I love the whooshing noise they make as they go by.
				– Douglas Adams

* Re: Conversion OEM to ANSI?
       [not found] ` <mailman.8744.1205300412.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2008-03-12 13:37   ` gooliver
From: gooliver @ 2008-03-12 13:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

thanX... i've fixed the trouble with
your suggestions and _emacs 22.1_

(with emacs 21.3 i have not the code page 850!)

* Re: Conversion OEM to ANSI?
@ 2008-03-12 18:30     ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2008-03-12 18:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2008 14:37:17 +0100
> From: gooliver <goolivernosp@mlibero.it>
>
> (with emacs 21.3 i have not the code page 850!)

Emacs 21.3 does have codepage 850, but you need to type this command
before you can use it:

       M-x codepage-setup RET 850 RET

After that, you will have coding-system cp850.