* escape characters in emacs20 shell mode
@ 2002-11-13 18:21 Nimar Arora
       [not found] ` <mailman.1037219095.31729.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Nimar Arora @ 2002-11-13 18:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

I'm running emacs20 on a Linux (Debian - Woody/stable)
virtual console. When I enter an emacs shell and try
to execute some command - like 'ls' - the output
contains a whole of junk - [[0m etc. These look like
the escape characters which can control the display
attributes on some terminals. I don't understand why
I'm getting these. I don't even have a .emacs file
yet, so I haven't changed the default configuration.

I tried, 'E-x shell-strip-ctrl-m' but to no avail. I
also tried to lookup the info on Emacs shell mode to
see if Debian has created some funky shell mode but
couldn't find anything.

Thanks,

Nimar

http://launch.yahoo.com/u2

* Re: escape characters in emacs20 shell mode
@ 2002-11-13 19:17 ` Frédéric Bothamy
       [not found] ` <mailman.1037219095.31729.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Frédéric Bothamy @ 2002-11-13 19:17 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Nimar Arora <nimar_arora@yahoo.com> [2002-11-13 10:21] :
> Hi,
>
> I'm running emacs20 on a Linux (Debian - Woody/stable)
> virtual console. When I enter an emacs shell and try
> to execute some command - like 'ls' - the output
> contains a whole of junk - [[0m etc. These look like
> the escape characters which can control the display
> attributes on some terminals. I don't understand why
> I'm getting these. I don't even have a .emacs file
> yet, so I haven't changed the default configuration.

You probably have an alias on ls like alias='ls --color=auto'. These
ares color codes. Unalias ls and it should work as you want.

I still don't understand why auto-color tries to color on a dumb
terminal (same here). Probably a wrong terminfo/termcap definition.

Fred

@ 2002-11-16 16:30   ` Kai Großjohann
       [not found]   ` <m3y97tjtiy.fsf@kuntu.zangpo.org>
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-16 16:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Frédéric Bothamy <fbothamy@mail.dotcom.fr> writes:

> I still don't understand why auto-color tries to color on a dumb
> terminal (same here). Probably a wrong terminfo/termcap definition.

Is $TERM really `dumb' in an Emacs shell?

kai

* Re: escape characters in emacs20 shell mode
@ 2002-11-16 17:03     ` Frédéric Bothamy
From: Frédéric Bothamy @ 2002-11-16 17:03 UTC (permalink / raw)

* Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> [2002-11-16 17:30] :
> Frédéric Bothamy <fbothamy@mail.dotcom.fr> writes:
>
> > I still don't understand why auto-color tries to color on a dumb
> > terminal (same here). Probably a wrong terminfo/termcap definition.
>
> Is $TERM really `dumb' in an Emacs shell?

Using M-x shell, yes (for me under GNU Emacs 21.2.1), using eshell
TERM is not defined.

Fred

@ 2002-11-17 19:22     ` Ivan Kanis
From: Ivan Kanis @ 2002-11-17 19:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

    Martin> Maybe because it isn't this dumb. I like the colored
    Martin> output in shell mode ;) You might try this to deal with
    Martin> the escape sequences:

    Martin> (autoload 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on "ansi-color" nil t)
    Martin>  (add-hook 'shell-mode-hook 'ansi-color-for-comint-mode-on)

Ah what a neat trick. I have been putting up with no colors for years
because I thought it was something that didn't work.

Now would it be possible to pass the tab command directly to the
shell? Now that bash has programmable tab completion I would like to
use it withing emacs. I would like to have the same behavior when I am
running bash in a console and when it's running in emacs.

Ivan
--
/-----------------------------------------------------------------------------*
|    "I often quote myself; it adds spice to my     |        Ivan Kanis       |

* Re: escape characters in emacs20 shell mode
@ 2002-11-18  7:34       ` Kai Großjohann
From: Kai Großjohann @ 2002-11-18  7:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ivan Kanis <ivank@juliva.com> writes:

> Now would it be possible to pass the tab command directly to the
> shell? Now that bash has programmable tab completion I would like to
> use it withing emacs. I would like to have the same behavior when I am
> running bash in a console and when it's running in emacs.

I vaguely remember that somebody posted something like this for
tcsh.  Maybe it was called tcsh-completion.el.  But it was many years
ago, so I don't remember.

kai

* piping
@ 2002-11-26 21:06         ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2002-11-26 21:06 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello --

does anyone know if it is possible to pipe a file to a running XEmacs
and have
the file open in a new buffer?  This might be more of a shell question
than
an emacs question, but I don't know the protocol and am curious.

Thanks,

Joe Corneli

PS.  This is for those times when I can't type C-x C-f from within
XEmacs...

* Re: piping
       [not found] <mailman.1038344733.3022.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2002-11-26 21:57 ` Barry Margolin
From: Barry Margolin @ 2002-11-26 21:57 UTC (permalink / raw)

In article <mailman.1038344733.3022.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Joe Corneli  <jcorneli@mail.ma.utexas.edu> wrote:
>does anyone know if it is possible to pipe a file to a running XEmacs
>and have
>the file open in a new buffer?  This might be more of a shell question
>than
>an emacs question, but I don't know the protocol and am curious.

Use (server-start) in the Emacs process, and "emacsclient" from the shell.

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA