[parent not found: <mailman.7740.1055367556.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>]
* Re: Preserving window layout
@ 2003-06-07 21:16 Johan Bockgård
From: Johan Bockgård @ 2003-06-07 21:16 UTC (permalink / raw)

Matthew Calhoun <calhounm@mac.com> writes:

> Sort of a poor man's IDE. The problem is, when I do something like
> command-apropos it wreaks havoc on my nice little environment - the
> shell buffer grows to take up half of the frame, and the *Apropos*
> buffer has taken the place of *shell*.

Another approach

,----[ C-h k C-x r w ]
| C-x r w runs the command window-configuration-to-register
|    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `register'.
| (window-configuration-to-register REGISTER &optional ARG)
|
| Store the window configuration of the selected frame in register REGISTER.
| Use C-x r j to restore the configuration.
| Argument is a character, naming the register.
`----

(info "(emacs)RegConfig")

You might want to bind those to some nice keys.

Also see

(info "(emacs)Windows")
(info "(emacs)Window Convenience")

--
The day Microsoft makes something that doesn't suck is probably the
day they start making vacuum cleaners. -- Ernst Jan Plugge