* Re: Preserving window layout (follow up)
@ 2003-06-11 18:53 ` Matthew Calhoun
From: Matthew Calhoun @ 2003-06-11 18:53 UTC (permalink / raw)

Thanks for all the suggestions. I found a really helpful function that
I'm surprised nobody mentioned, though: set-window-dedicated-p prevents
Emacs from messing with a particular window. I wound up writing a small
function that sets up my windows as described, calls this function for
the shell window, and then calls the window-configuration-to-register
function that Johan mentioned. Seems to work pretty well.

Thanks again,
Matt

       [not found] <mailman.7740.1055367556.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-16 21:23 ` Robert Hundt
From: Robert Hundt @ 2003-06-16 21:23 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Matthew,

  please send me this function ... ;-)

-- Robert

       [not found] <E19S33S-00078x-Py@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-06-17 16:29 ` Matthew Calhoun
From: Matthew Calhoun @ 2003-06-17 16:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Sure. Here it is:

(defun lock-window ()
   "Prevent Emacs from messing with the current window."
   (interactive)
   (set-window-dedicated-p (frame-selected-window) t)
   (message "Locked window."))

(defun ide ()
   "Set up a simple IDE-like environment."
   (interactive)
   (split-window-vertically -8)
   (other-window 1)
   (shell)
   (lock-window)
   (other-window 1)
   (split-window-horizontally)
   ; Make sure we can get back here if our setup somehow gets messed up
(use 'C-x r j i')
   (window-configuration-to-register ?i)
   (message "IDE initialized. Use 'C-x r j i' to return to this window
configuration."))