From: Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE>
Cc: "Sébastien Vauban" <ewgeocaufsfb@spammotel.com>, help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Do-you Aspell for French?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 23:42:33 +0200	[thread overview]

Am 30.08.2006 um 22:53 schrieb Michaël Cadilhac:

> Peter Dyballa <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> writes:

>>> I did add your function, but... no, it does not work... I still
>>> got the coumpound words underlined...
>
> Strange... I use CVS Emacs, what version are you running?

21.3.50, 22.0.50, 23.0.0.

> Where did you put it?  If it's in your .emacs, did you put a (require
> 'ispell) before?

No. But I can tell you that your lines change the value of
OTHERCHARS, from default "[-'^`\".@]" (in a version running some
time) to "[-']".

And with (require 'ispell) no change ...

I'm not sure whether it's an Emacs thing to decide where a word ends.
IMO Emacs passes a region or a buffer to the ispell process which
then reads through this. And so it's ispell then, that decides where
a word ends. Since I think ispell's not correctly set up ...

In Fink Martin Costabel is the maintainer of this package; in
francais.aff this is recorded: Copyright 1999, Christophe Pythoud et
GUTenberg. Here is an excerpt from ispell.4:

        Characters  described  with  the boundarychars statement are
considered
        part of a word only if they appear singly, embedded between
characters
        declared  with the wordchars or stringchar statements.  For
example, if
        the hyphen is a boundary character (useful in French), the
string "foo-
        bar" would be a single word, but "-foo" would be the same as
"foo", and
        "foo--bar" would be two words separated by non-word characters.

Since francais.aff contains

	boundarychars	[-]

penses-tu is one word! Would it work to subtract - from OTHERCHARS in
ispell-dictionary-alist-3?

Michaël, could you check your francais.aff file? Maybe this explains
why you're so successful ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

A lot of us are working harder than we want, at things we don't like
to do. Why? ...In order to afford the sort of existence we don't care
to live.
                                    -- Bradford Angier