* How to include original
@ 2004-05-02 22:10 John King
From: John King @ 2004-05-02 22:10 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi !
Sorry if this is a double posting.

I am trying to use emacs on a UNIX server in order to send email. When
I get an email and reply, people complain that they don't see their
originial email message to me ... and so have a tougher time
remembering what they said that I am replying to.

Can someone help me with this. I would like to set up I guess .emacs
file so that it automatically includes their original message in my
reply body.... I guess in quotes or something.

Thanks for help. I have been searching on google and also reading
emacs tutorial and using C-h a commmands..but not sure what keywords
to put in their.

John King

--
http://kingjohn.freeshell.org
kingjohn@sdf.lonestar.org

* Re: How to include original
@ 2004-05-02 22:42 ` Tim McNamara
From: Tim McNamara @ 2004-05-02 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)

John King <kingjohn@sverige.freeshell.org> writes:

> Hi !  Sorry if this is a double posting.

It's a repeat.  Did you read the replies you've already gotten?

> I am trying to use emacs on a UNIX server in order to send
> email. When I get an email and reply, people complain that they
> don't see their originial email message to me ... and so have a
> tougher time remembering what they said that I am replying to.
>
> Can someone help me with this. I would like to set up I guess .emacs
> file so that it automatically includes their original message in my
> reply body.... I guess in quotes or something.

No, using a quote string like the > character that starts each line of
your text quoted in my reply.

> Thanks for help. I have been searching on google and also reading
> emacs tutorial and using C-h a commmands..but not sure what keywords
> to put in their.

If you are using Gnus with Emacs, Shift-F will do the job.  With other
mail interfaces (e.g. rmail), the key sequence will be different. The
Emacs tutorial on reading mail will answer the rest of your questions.
However, you may be looking for the wrong thing- you do not put
something in your .emacs file to include quoted text in your replies.

* Re: How to include original
       [not found] <200405022227.i42MRTq04899@dell3.ma.utexas.edu>
@ 2004-05-02 22:55 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2004-05-02 22:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

  I am trying to use emacs on a UNIX server in order to send email. When
  I get an email and reply, people complain that they don't see their

You didn't say what emacs system are you using to read your mail. If
you are using RMAIL you can type C-c C-y (`mail-yank-original').

It shouldn't be hard to write a little function/macro that will do
both the "reply to mail" action and this yank action.  Or you could
just remember to type C-c C-y for the people who complain otherwise!

You're likely to find that lots of people (including people on most
mailing lists) do not want to see their writing coming back at them
all the time.  For mailing lists it is preferable to use selective
quotes from the original.