* Hyperbole and ways to browse notes
@ 2003-09-24 19:37 Ryan Schram
From: Ryan Schram @ 2003-09-24 19:37 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi,

Has anyone gotten Hyperbole 4.x to work on GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (Mac OS X)
or thereabouts? I have downloaded the ftp.gnu.org and sourceforge.net
tarballs and tried to make. Each seems to be missing files that the
Makefile chokes on. If someone could point me to a complete distro or a
guide to editing the Makefile, I'd really appreciate it.

I'm also curious about other forms of hypertext support for Emacs. I am
working on developing a markup format for notes (ethnographic
fieldnotes, to be precise), and I'd like to be able to store, index,
annotate notes, and link between notes. Any alternatives to Hyperbole?

Thanks,
Ryan

Ryan Schram
Doctoral Candidate in Anthropology
UC San Diego

* Re: Hyperbole and ways to browse notes
@ 2003-09-25 11:12 ` Bill Benedetto
From: Bill Benedetto @ 2003-09-25 11:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

>>> Ryan Schram writes:

  Ryan> Has anyone gotten Hyperbole 4.x to work on GNU Emacs
  Ryan> 21.3.50 (Mac OS X) or thereabouts? I have downloaded the
  Ryan> ftp.gnu.org and sourceforge.net tarballs and tried to
  Ryan> make. Each seems to be missing files that the Makefile
  Ryan> chokes on. If someone could point me to a complete distro
  Ryan> or a guide to editing the Makefile, I'd really appreciate
  Ryan> it.

I'm running this:
 hyperb:version's value is "04.18"
 emacs-version's  value is "21.3.1"

I don't remember having any trouble getting things set up.  I've
been using the combination for a number of months now...

  Ryan> I'm also curious about other forms of hypertext support
  Ryan> for Emacs. I am working on developing a markup format for
  Ryan> notes (ethnographic fieldnotes, to be precise), and I'd
  Ryan> like to be able to store, index, annotate notes, and link
  Ryan> between notes. Any alternatives to Hyperbole?

This isn't the same thing buy you might take a gander at records
mode for emacs: http://sourceforge.net/projects/records
Note the same as Hyperbole nor as complete but an interesting way
to organize notes.

HTH,

- Bill
+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+
Bill Benedetto     <bbenedetto@goodyear.com>    The Goodyear Tire & Rubber Co.
I don't speak for Goodyear and they don't speak for me.  We're both happy.

* Re: Hyperbole and ways to browse notes
       [not found] <E1A2RJG-0004lX-Df@monty-python.gnu.org>
@ 2003-09-25 14:32 ` Joe Corneli
From: Joe Corneli @ 2003-09-25 14:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Ryan,

I had to compile the hyperbole sources from within
emacs.  It was a bit tedious because of having to
chase through the chain of dependencies, but in
the end it works fine.   You might consider Emacs
Wiki as an alternative.

Joe