From: "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com>
Subject: RE: defcustom: changing from defvar - order of execution
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 15:49:45 -0700	[thread overview]

    It appears that defcustom acts just like defvar and
    custom-set-variables acts much like setq.

Yes, wrt setting the value.

    So the position of your load command, with respect to the
    custom-set-variables section is unimportant.

Right, if the user uses setq. In my initial email the user used defvar,
which only takes effect if done before the load (with its own defvar or
defcustom).

    Obviously the position of your call to foo-fn IS important.

    In my .emacs nothing comes before custom-set-variables.
    But I notice that if the section doesn't already exist
    it gets added at the end rather than the beginning.
    I question the logic behind that.  Especially considering
    the existence of options like :require and :set-after which
    make the need for anything before it unlikely.
    At least it doesn't move if it's present so you can put it
    where you want and it will stay.

Yes, I am referring to the placement in .emacs, by Customize, of
custom-set-variables. Obviously, a user can reposition that at will, but, a
priori, a user will just let Customize place it, and it will be placed at
the end, after the load-library.