* longlines mode
@ 2007-09-27 11:40 weber
From: weber @ 2007-09-27 11:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi folks.
I was just trying to use a scratch area on a tall and narrow window,
30 characters wide, on the right side of emacs.
Then i turned on longlines-mode so my lines would be wrapped, and
found out that are not wrapped in the end of a window, but relative to
the variable fill-column.

So my question is: is there another mode i can use for wrapping lines
(soft wrap) that is set according to the current window size?

Regards,
weber

* Re: longlines mode
@ 2007-09-27 12:21 ` Giorgos Keramidas
       [not found] ` <mailman.1397.1190906994.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Giorgos Keramidas @ 2007-09-27 12:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Thu, 27 Sep 2007 04:40:11 -0700, weber <hugows@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi folks.
> I was just trying to use a scratch area on a tall and narrow window,
> 30 characters wide, on the right side of emacs.  Then i turned on
> longlines-mode so my lines would be wrapped, and found out that are
> not wrapped in the end of a window, but relative to the variable
> fill-column.

Which is easy to set `C-u 30 C-x f' :-)

> So my question is: is there another mode i can use for wrapping lines
> (soft wrap) that is set according to the current window size?

I'm not a very prolific longlines-mode user.  I mostly use it to edit
blog posts and blog comments, where hard line breaks cause unnecessarily
short lines in the output page/document.

Have you checked if there's an option which configures longlines-mode to
behave like this?

* RE: longlines mode
@ 2007-09-27 15:29 ` Drew Adams
       [not found] ` <mailman.1397.1190906994.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-09-27 15:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weber, help-gnu-emacs

> i turned on longlines-mode so my lines would be wrapped, and
> found out that are not wrapped in the end of a window, but relative to
> the variable fill-column.
>
> So my question is: is there another mode i can use for wrapping lines
> (soft wrap) that is set according to the current window size?

You can use this trivial command (in any mode):

(defun foo ()
  "Set `fill-column' to width of selected window."
  (setq fill-column (window-width))
  (message "Fill column is now %d" fill-column))

You can of course combine that with entry to longlines mode or whatever.

* Re: longlines mode
       [not found] ` <mailman.1397.1190906994.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-09-27 15:56   ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-09-27 15:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 27, 12:29 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > i turned on longlines-mode so my lines would be wrapped, and
> > found out that are not wrapped in the end of a window, but relative to
> > the variable fill-column.
>
> > So my question is: is there another mode i can use for wrapping lines
> > (soft wrap) that is set according to the current window size?
>
> You can use this trivial command (in any mode):
>
> (defun foo ()
>   "Set `fill-column' to width of selected window."
>   (setq fill-column (window-width))
>   (message "Fill column is now %d" fill-column))
>
> You can of course combine that with entry to longlines mode or whatever.

Indeed, inspecting the source i found a variable for doing this:

(setq longlines-wrap-follows-window-size t)

Please pardon me for not seeing it before.

Tks
weber

* Re: longlines mode
@ 2007-09-27 15:57     ` weber
From: weber @ 2007-09-27 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Sep 27, 12:56 pm, weber <hug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sep 27, 12:29 pm, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
>
> > > i turned on longlines-mode so my lines would be wrapped, and
> > > found out that are not wrapped in the end of a window, but relative to
> > > the variable fill-column.
>
> > > So my question is: is there another mode i can use for wrapping lines
> > > (soft wrap) that is set according to the current window size?
>
> > You can use this trivial command (in any mode):
>
> > (defun foo ()
> >   "Set `fill-column' to width of selected window."
> >   (setq fill-column (window-width))
> >   (message "Fill column is now %d" fill-column))
>
> > You can of course combine that with entry to longlines mode or whatever.
>
> Indeed, inspecting the source i found a variable for doing this:
>
> (setq longlines-wrap-follows-window-size t)
>
> Please pardon me for not seeing it before.
>
> Tks
> weber

I meant "forgive me" instead of pardon me. Rusty english.
Bye
weber

* RE: longlines mode
@ 2007-09-27 17:11     ` Drew Adams
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2012.1192275593.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-09-27 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: weber, help-gnu-emacs

> Indeed, inspecting the source i found a variable for doing this:
>
> (setq longlines-wrap-follows-window-size t)

Even better. Emacs has everything!

* Re: longlines mode
@ 2007-10-13 11:42       ` Dieter Wilhelm
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2012.1192275593.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-13 11:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Drew Adams; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, weber

>> Indeed, inspecting the source i found a variable for doing this:
>>
>> (setq longlines-wrap-follows-window-size t)
>
> Even better. Emacs has everything!

Yes, the only thing I'm missing is a good, native web browser in
Emacs.

Does anybody know whether W3 is progressing to a useful state?

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: longlines mode
@ 2007-10-13 11:50         ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-10-13 11:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-10-13 12:42 +0100, Dieter Wilhelm wrote:
> "Drew Adams" <drew.adams@oracle.com> writes:
>
>>> Indeed, inspecting the source i found a variable for doing this:
>>>
>>> (setq longlines-wrap-follows-window-size t)
>>
>> Even better. Emacs has everything!
>
> Yes, the only thing I'm missing is a good, native web browser in
> Emacs.

I think elisp needs to be much faster.

> Does anybody know whether W3 is progressing to a useful state?

W3 is in maintenance mode if not dead.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Re: longlines mode
@ 2007-10-13 12:07             ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-10-13 12:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 2007-10-13 14:06 +0100, Bastien wrote:
> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Does anybody know whether W3 is progressing to a useful state?
>>
>> W3 is in maintenance mode if not dead.
>
> Did you tried w3m + emacs-w3m?
>
> http://w3m.sourceforge.net/
> http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
>
> It works like a charm here.

I am running emacs-w3m. I hope emacs-w3m supports css someday.

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

       Use the most powerful email client -- http://gnus.org/

* Web browsers (Was: longlines mode)
       [not found]       ` <mailman.2012.1192275593.18990.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2007-10-13 12:13         ` Harald Hanche-Olsen
From: Harald Hanche-Olsen @ 2007-10-13 12:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

+ Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>:

> Yes, the only thing I'm missing is a good, native web browser in
> Emacs.
>
> Does anybody know whether W3 is progressing to a useful state?

From a casual look at savannah, it looks quite abandoned.

But w3m looks good, although it does not satisfy your requirement of
being native.

  -- Bertrand Russell

* Re: longlines mode
@ 2007-10-13 13:06           ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-13 13:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Leo; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2007-10-13 18:28             ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-13 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs, Leo

Bastien <bzg@altern.org> writes:

> Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:
>
>>> Does anybody know whether W3 is progressing to a useful state?
>>
>> W3 is in maintenance mode if not dead.

Well, I thought now that Emacs became a graphics and even a pdf viewer
of sorts ...

> Did you tried w3m + emacs-w3m?

Yes, and it was a bit painful at times.  I very much prefer a text
mode for editing, administration and so on but for most www sites it's
often too hard to read.

> http://w3m.sourceforge.net/
> http://emacs-w3m.namazu.org/
>
> It works like a charm here.

What I very much liked were the Emacsi key bindings.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Web browsers
@ 2007-10-13 18:31           ` Dieter Wilhelm
From: Dieter Wilhelm @ 2007-10-13 18:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Harald Hanche-Olsen; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Harald Hanche-Olsen <hanche@math.ntnu.no> writes:

> + Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de>:
>
>> Yes, the only thing I'm missing is a good, native web browser in
>> Emacs.
>>
>> Does anybody know whether W3 is progressing to a useful state?
>
> From a casual look at savannah, it looks quite abandoned.
>
> But w3m looks good, although it does not satisfy your requirement of
> being native.

Maybe it was phrased too rigidly.  With native I meant a browser with
"graphics" capabilities under an Emacs frame with Emacs key bindings.

--
    Best wishes

    H. Dieter Wilhelm
    Darmstadt, Germany

* Re: Web browsers
@ 2007-10-14  1:41             ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-10-14  1:41 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Dieter Wilhelm <dieter@duenenhof-wilhelm.de> writes:

> Maybe it was phrased too rigidly.  With native I meant a browser with
> "graphics" capabilities under an Emacs frame with Emacs key bindings.

What do you mean by "graphics capabilities"?

If you're talking about understanding CSS, I doubt this fits with the
overall Emacs scheme.  But if you just want text+images, emacs-w3m is
doing really good.

--
Bastien