* how to insert this?
@ 2007-11-23 22:42 someusernamehere
From: someusernamehere @ 2007-11-23 22:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hey, I have see many times lines such as:

how to do so?

* Re: how to insert this?
@ 2007-11-24 19:26 ` Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo
From: Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo @ 2007-11-24 19:26 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

* RE: how to insert this?
@ 2007-11-24 20:31   ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-11-24 20:31 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> > Hey, I have see many times lines such as:
> > --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
> > how to do so?
>
> You can insert it with M-x message-mark-inserted-region RET or
> message-mark-insert-file, are functions in message.el.

If you just want to insert it, then you don't need the message marking done
by `message-*'.

Here are two ways to do what you request:

1. Put the text in a file `cut', then use `C-x i cut' (command
`insert-file').

2. Put the text in a string, then use a command that calls `insert' to
insert it:

(defcustom cut-string
  "--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---\n"
  "My cut string" :type 'string)

(defun insert-cut-string ()
  "Insert `cut-string'." (interactive) (insert cut-string))

If you use this a lot, #2 might be handier. You can bind `insert-cut-string'
to a key.

Learn to fish. Some ways to find out about things like this yourself:

1. Use `C-u C-h a insert RET'. You will see all functions whose names
contain `insert', including `insert-file' and `insert'. To see only names
that begin with `insert', use `C-u C-h a ^insert RET'.

2. Use `C-h f insert TAB TAB'. You will see all functions whose names start
with `insert', including `insert-file' and `insert'. Unlike `C-h a', you
don't see any descriptions, however, and you will not know which are
commands (interactive functions).

3. Use `i' in the Emacs manual (or the Elisp manual), then `insert TAB TAB'.
You will see all index entries related to `insert'. But that is less helpful
in this particular case.

* Re: how to insert this?
@ 2007-11-25  3:10     ` William Xu
From: William Xu @ 2007-11-25  3:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Here are two ways to do what you request:
>
> 1. Put the text in a file `cut', then use `C-x i cut' (command
> `insert-file').
>
> 2. Put the text in a string, then use a command that calls `insert' to
> insert it:
>
> (defcustom cut-string
>   "--8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---\n"
>   "My cut string" :type 'string)
>
> (defun insert-cut-string ()
>   "Insert `cut-string'." (interactive) (insert cut-string))

Alternatively, you can use abbrev-mode. I myself use "xcut" for
expanding something similar.

--
William

http://williamxu.net9.org

* Re: how to insert this?
@ 2007-11-25 23:02   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-11-25 23:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Exal de Jesus Garcia Carrillo <no-spam@gnu.org> writes:

> someusername escreveu:
>
>> Hey, I have see many times lines such as:
>>
>> how to do so?
>
> You can insert it with M-x message-mark-inserted-region RET or
> message-mark-insert-file, are functions in message.el.

Yes.  The advantage of using this solution (C-c M-m) is that it takes
care of replacing "start" by "end" at the end of the inserted region.

--
Bastien