* Interactive font changing
@ 2007-09-07 23:15 thorne
From: thorne @ 2007-09-07 23:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello.  Is there a way to interactively change aspects of the font for
a given buffer or frame?  I know i can customize things, but i would
like to be able to do something on the order of M-x make-buffer-bold
RET and have all the text in the buffer be bold, or M-x increase-font
RET and have the text in the buffer increase.

I am wondering because i am doing a lot of reading etexts in Emacs and
would like to be able to easily modify the font characteristics for
easy reading, but not have to change things in custom every time i
want to go back to, say, using gnus, where screen real-estate is at a
premium.

(Come to think of it, something like that might make a nice addition
to view-mode...)

* RE: Interactive font changing
@ 2007-09-08  0:05 ` Drew Adams
From: Drew Adams @ 2007-09-08  0:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Hello.  Is there a way to interactively change aspects of the font for
> a given buffer or frame?  I know i can customize things, but i would
> like to be able to do something on the order of M-x make-buffer-bold
> RET and have all the text in the buffer be bold, or M-x increase-font
> RET and have the text in the buffer increase.
>
> I am wondering because i am doing a lot of reading etexts in Emacs and
> would like to be able to easily modify the font characteristics for
> easy reading, but not have to change things in custom every time i
> want to go back to, say, using gnus, where screen real-estate is at a
> premium.

http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki/SetFonts

For zooming, I use `zoom-frm-in' and `zoom-frm-out', bound to `S-mouse1' and
`C-S-mouse-1'. I also use `doremi-font-size', bound to `C-x t z' (zoom with
mouse wheel or arrow keys).

Note: Apparently Emacs 23 breaks some things regarding font zooming. But
Emacs 20 through 22 should be fine.

For changing the font (choosing a bold font etc), I use `icicle-font' -
`bold S-TAB' etc.

In vanilla Emacs on Windows, `S-mouse-1' gives you the standard Windows font
dialog box. There, you can also pick `Bold' and a font size.