* dired view not displaying symlinks
@ 2006-02-01 15:14 Harry Putnam
From: Harry Putnam @ 2006-02-01 15:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

I'm supposed to know this but:

In dired view symlinks have no visual indication that they are
symlinks. They just appear to be regular files.

I think, in the past I saw an -> etc like is displayed in ls -l.

* Re: dired view not displaying symlinks
@ 2006-02-01 20:22 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2006-02-01 20:22 UTC (permalink / raw)

Harry Putnam wrote:
> I'm supposed to know this but:
>
> In dired view symlinks have no visual indication that they are
> symlinks. They just appear to be regular files.
>
> I think, in the past I saw an -> etc like is displayed in ls -l.

Are you using insert-directory from files.el or ls-lisp.el?  (C-h f
to find out.)

If from files.el, check dired-listing-switches and
dired-ls-F-marks-symlinks with C-h v.

--
Kevin Rodgers

* Re: dired view not displaying symlinks
@ 2006-02-01 21:01 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-02-01 21:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 01.02.2006 um 16:14 schrieb Harry Putnam:

> I'm supposed to know this but:
>
> In dired view symlinks have no visual indication that they are
> symlinks. They just appear to be regular files.
>
> I think, in the past I saw an -> etc like is displayed in ls -l.

For me on Mac OS X in GNU Emacs 22.0.50 sym-links are displayed in a
bold font face, as the directory's path name in the buffer's head.

Can it be that you use a font or fontset based on regular only fonts?

I never saw in dired-mode sym-links displayed the same way as in xterm.

--
Greetings

   Pete

Chicago, n.:
         Where the dead still vote ... early and often!