* emacs 22 for AIX
@ 2006-11-28 21:28 Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-11-28 21:28 UTC (permalink / raw)

I use to be on emacs-pretesters but dropped off when I lost my job.

Does anyone have emacs 22 compiled for AIX?

If not, I'm happy to do that.  Should I use the cvs version or a tar
ball?

Thanks,
Perry Smith ( pedz@easesoftware.com )
Ease Software, Inc. ( http://www.easesoftware.com )

Low cost SATA Disk Systems for IBMs p5, pSeries, and RS/6000 AIX systems

* Re: emacs 22 for AIX
@ 2006-11-28 21:49 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2006-11-28 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: GNU Emacs List

Am 28.11.2006 um 22:28 schrieb Perry Smith:

> Should I use the cvs version or a tar ball?

With CVS you can have every day some work ...

It takes longer to download, but it makes more sense (GNU Emacs has
cvs built-in). The sources (C and Elisp and others) change quite
often, because it's still a developing software. So updating and re-
compiling and re-testing/using every few days makes sense.

There is also a version 23 available, based on Unicode. The Xft
branch was integrated into it in summer (offering font anti-
aliasing), and recently it learned to use fontsets to become able to
display less characters as empty boxes.

For both versions a transparency patch is available that can make GNU
Emacs transparent in X11 – if the X server (I think starting with
X11R6.8) allows this!

--
Greetings

   Pete

"It isn't pollution that's harming the environment. It's the
impurities in our air and water that are doing it."

* Re: emacs 22 for AIX
@ 2006-11-28 22:12 ` Chong Yidong
From: Chong Yidong @ 2006-11-28 22:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

Perry Smith <pedz@easesoftware.com> writes:

> I use to be on emacs-pretesters but dropped off when I lost my job.
>
> Does anyone have emacs 22 compiled for AIX?
>
> If not, I'm happy to do that.  Should I use the cvs version or a tar
> ball?

Please use the tarball.  We need to test whether the tarball builds on
different systems.  The hope is to release pretest tarballs on a
fairly regular basis, so they shouldn't lag CVS by much.

* Re: emacs 22 for AIX
@ 2006-11-28 23:04   ` Perry Smith
From: Perry Smith @ 2006-11-28 23:04 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: help-gnu-emacs