* Title Escapes and term-mode
@ 2008-11-18 21:22 Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-11-18 21:22 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When using one of the terminal emulators in Emacs, if a shell/command
outputs the xterm escape sequence to set the window title, it shows up
in Emacs as garbage.

Is there a way to either ignore those escape sequences, or preferably do
something useful with them (e.g. put them in the mode line)?

--
Peter Jones, http://pmade.com
pmade inc.  Louisville, CO US

* Re: Title Escapes and term-mode
@ 2008-11-18 22:04 ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-18 22:04 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Jones; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.11.2008 um 22:22 schrieb Peter Jones:

> Is there a way to either ignore those escape sequences, or
> preferably do
> something useful with them (e.g. put them in the mode line)?

Could you imagine not to emit these ANSI Esc sequences when *not* in
xterm?

--
Greetings

   Pete

$ sumascii BILL GATES
   B   I   L   L   G   A   T   E   S
  66+ 73+ 76+ 76+ 71+ 65+ 84+ 69+ 83 = 663

  and add 3 because he's Bill Gates the third.

* Re: Title Escapes and term-mode
@ 2008-11-18 22:21   ` Peter Jones
From: Peter Jones @ 2008-11-18 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> Could you imagine not to emit these ANSI Esc sequences when *not* in
> xterm?

Yes, of course that's an option.  I've already put the necessary logic
in my shell configuration, but it's not so easy to conditionally
configure GNU screen.

That's why I'm looking for a solution on the Emacs side of the equation.

I can hack elisp if someone would kindly point me in the right
direction.

--

@ 2008-11-18 22:50     ` Peter Dyballa
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-18 22:50 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Peter Jones; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 18.11.2008 um 23:21 schrieb Peter Jones:

>> Could you imagine not to emit these ANSI Esc sequences when *not* in
>> xterm?
>
> Yes, of course that's an option.  I've already put the necessary logic
> in my shell configuration, but it's not so easy to conditionally
> configure GNU screen.
>
> That's why I'm looking for a solution on the Emacs side of the
> equation.

You can override the particle that creates the ANSI Esc sequences in
~/.emacs_<shell name>.

--
Greetings
                                  <]