* How to pass parameters to compile ? And how to use CScope like  features ?
@ 2008-11-29 13:31 Christiano Farina Haesbaert
From: Christiano Farina Haesbaert @ 2008-11-29 13:31 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

I often want to do the following but I don't know how.

1 ) I would like to have a keystroke for compiling the same directory
(project), without having to type it.

2) How can I search for callers of the function I'm currently editing,
I found a weird solution using rgrep ? (in C)

Thanks.

* Re: How to pass parameters to compile ? And how to use CScope like features ?
@ 2008-11-29 16:37 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2008-11-29 16:37 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Christiano Farina Haesbaert wrote:
> 1 ) I would like to have a keystroke for compiling the same directory
> (project), without having to type it.

(defun compile-project-foo ()
   (interactive)
   (let ((default-directory "~/project/foo"))
     (call-interactively 'compile)))

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA

* Re: How to pass parameters to compile ? And how to use CScope like features ?
@ 2008-11-29 17:43 ` Peter Dyballa
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1604.1228127301.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Peter Dyballa @ 2008-11-29 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: Christiano Farina Haesbaert; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Am 29.11.2008 um 14:31 schrieb Christiano Farina Haesbaert:

> 1 ) I would like to have a keystroke for compiling the same directory
> (project), without having to type it.

Learn to use session.el – it can save a lot of compile commands (M-x
compile RET and then search the history). You can also create macros
that take from anywhere you to some directory and invoke some compile
command. Or you can develop your own ideas ...

> 2) How can I search for callers of the function I'm currently editing,
> I found a weird solution using rgrep ? (in C)

I don't know what a caller is – I am using grep-find to search in
particular files (with a name or endings like .m, .h, etc.) for some
text (which can also be the name of a function) ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

People say that if you play Microsoft CD's backwards, you hear
satanic things, but that's nothing, because if you play them
forwards, they install MS Windows.

* How to pass parameters to compile ? And how to use CScope like features ?
@ 2008-11-29 19:42 grischka
From: grischka @ 2008-11-29 19:42 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: christiano.fh, help-gnu-emacs

Christiano Farina Haesbaert wrote:

> I often want to do the following but I don't know how.

> 1 ) I would like to have a keystroke for compiling the same directory
> (project), without having to type it.

eproject is made for you:
	http://tromey.com/elpa/eproject-0.1.tar
at
	http://tromey.com/elpa/

You have a per-project menu that you can edit on the fly to add
commands and (optionally) keystrokes.  Everything is loaded and
saved automatically and you can switch between project with two
keystrokes as if you were just switching to another buffer.

Here is for example (part of) my "emacs" project-menu:

make (f9)               : -in src make
clean (C-f9)            : rm -vf src/emacs-23.* etc/DOC* && make clean
stop (C-f8)             : -e kill-compilation
run (f8)                : src/emacs
---
configure               : ./configure
install                 : echo root-pass | sudo -S make install

* Re: How to pass parameters to compile ? And how to use CScope like features ?
@ 2008-12-01 10:25   ` Bernardo Bacic
       [not found]   ` <mailman.1604.1228127301.26697.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: Bernardo Bacic @ 2008-12-01 10:25 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

>> 2) How can I search for callers of the function I'm currently editing,
>> I found a weird solution using rgrep ? (in C)

for the 2nd part of the question - there is a cscope interface:
http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/CScopeAndEmacs

btw xcscope.el works quite well

@ 2008-12-01 12:23     ` Christiano Farina Haesbaert
From: Christiano Farina Haesbaert @ 2008-12-01 12:23 UTC (permalink / raw
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Thanks a lot you guys, I'll try all the suggested ideas :)