* Outlook composition support?
@ 2017-11-07 16:47 Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2017-11-07 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Help GNU Emacs

I really hate Outlook, but unfortunately, it's what I have to use to
send and receive mail at work. Is there any way to hook Emacs in as a
message composition editor?

Thanks,

Skip Montanaro

* Re: Outlook composition support?
       [not found] <mailman.3147.1510073283.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2017-11-07 20:06 ` HASM
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3166.1510085704.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: HASM @ 2017-11-07 20:06 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> I really hate Outlook, but unfortunately, it's what I have to use to
> send and receive mail at work. Is there any way to hook Emacs in as a
> message composition editor?

Use davmail (MTA) to get your email out of Exchange, then use another
email program (MUA) that can use emacs as an editor.

Not sure how to do all of that in a strict windows environment, but
that's what I do using a linux desktop at work (from where I remote into
my outlook-free windows laptop to do windows stuff).

-- HASM

* Re: Outlook composition support?
@ 2017-11-07 20:14   ` tomas
       [not found]   ` <mailman.3166.1510085704.27995.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
From: tomas @ 2017-11-07 20:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

@ 2017-11-07 21:03     ` HASM
From: HASM @ 2017-11-07 21:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

<tomas@tuxteam.de> writes:

>> Use davmail (MTA) to get your email out of Exchange, then use another
>> email program (MUA) that can use emacs as an editor.

> When excanghe has IMAP enabled, I've used fetchmail to good results.

Most companies disable that, not sure why.  At my company it used to be
opened, but it was closed after some update, and there's no convincing
them to open it up.

-- HASM

* Re: Outlook composition support?
@ 2017-11-13 14:52 ` Robert Pluim
From: Robert Pluim @ 2017-11-13 14:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Skip Montanaro; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

Skip Montanaro <skip.montanaro@gmail.com> writes:

> I really hate Outlook, but unfortunately, it's what I have to use to
> send and receive mail at work. Is there any way to hook Emacs in as a
> message composition editor?

You means something like this? https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/MessageOutlook

(I suspect this will result in plaintext email, which might well
confuse your readers ;-) )

Robert

* Re: Outlook composition support?
@ 2017-11-13 14:56   ` Skip Montanaro
From: Skip Montanaro @ 2017-11-13 14:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Robert Pluim; +Cc: Help GNU Emacs

Thanks for all the suggestions/pointers. As for Robert's comment:

> I suspect this will result in plaintext email, which might well confuse your readers ;-)

no worries there. I forcibly set Outlook to send plaintext mail by
default and only change it when I have to insert some bit of non-text
content. I've been confusing my readers for months. :-)

Skip