* Version control "Register" operation
@ 2011-10-10 21:49 cwcarlson
From: cwcarlson @ 2011-10-10 21:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

In a previous version of Emacs, I'm not sure how long ago, when I did a
"vc-register" operation, Emacs would automatically open a buffer for the
"Description."  This would allow me to enter a description of the file
being registered for RCS, CVS or SVN.

Now I find that "vc-register" just registers the file with no
description.  I've looked in the vc*.el files and cannot see where it
even considers opening a buffer for the description.

Is this a feature that has been removed?

Thanks,
Chris

* Re: Version control "Register" operation
@ 2011-10-11 13:17 ` suvayu ali
From: suvayu ali @ 2011-10-11 13:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: cwcarlson; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 11:49 PM,  <cwcarlson@cox.net> wrote:
> In a previous version of Emacs, I'm not sure how long ago, when I did a
> "vc-register" operation, Emacs would automatically open a buffer for the
> "Description."  This would allow me to enter a description of the file being
> registered for RCS, CVS or SVN.
>
> Now I find that "vc-register" just registers the file with no description.
>  I've looked in the vc*.el files and cannot see where it even considers
> opening a buffer for the description.
>
> Is this a feature that has been removed?

What backend are you using? If you are using a distributed versioning
system (bzr, git, hg, ..), I think this is expected behaviour as
registering just adds the file but doesn't commit. You get the chance
to add your comments when you finally commit.

> Thanks,
> Chris

Hope this helped.

--
Suvayu

* Re: Version control "Register" operation
@ 2011-10-11 15:34   ` Chris Carlson
From: Chris Carlson @ 2011-10-11 15:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: suvayu ali; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

* Re: Version control "Register" operation
@ 2011-10-12  4:46 ` Kevin Rodgers
From: Kevin Rodgers @ 2011-10-12  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On 10/10/11 3:49 PM, cwcarlson@cox.net wrote:
> In a previous version of Emacs, I'm not sure how long ago, when I did a
> "vc-register" operation, Emacs would automatically open a buffer for the
> "Description." This would allow me to enter a description of the file being
> registered for RCS, CVS or SVN.
>
> Now I find that "vc-register" just registers the file with no description. I've
> looked in the vc*.el files and cannot see where it even considers opening a
> buffer for the description.
>
> Is this a feature that has been removed?

vc-initial-comment is a variable defined in `vc.el'.
Its value is nil

Documentation:
If non-nil, prompt for initial comment when a file is registered.

You can customize this variable.

--
Kevin Rodgers
Denver, Colorado, USA