On Sat, Sep 24, 2011 at 1:58 AM, Eli Zaretskii wrote: > > > next-line > What was the value of line-move-visual? Under the default non-nil > setting, next-line is pretty expensive. > it was t, setting it to nil didn't help bibi-display much. > > > What kind of text? What was the major mode in that buffer? > > > > emacs-lisp large file > > How large? > > allout.el >200k not very large. large enough to scroll continuously for 10 seconds of so. Does it matter whether you are close to the file's beginning or to its > end? > > Does anything change if, after visiting the file, you first type > > M-: (font-lock-default-fontify-buffer) RET > and only then try scrolling? > no. > > I also use full font-lock salad colors with "Consolas" font on Windows. > > Also I use several minor-modes that add pre or post-command-hooks. > > If you remove those pre/post-command hooks, does the scrolling speed > improve significantly? Can you find a hook that has the most profound > effect? no it does not. the effect of all hooks is about 2-3% CPU. > > Does it behave better if you set redisplay-dont-pause to a non-nil > > > value? This will be the default in Emacs 24. > > > > > > > It's not making a noticeable difference. > > With or without bidi-display-reordering? I asked about its effect > when bidi-display-reordering is left at its default t value. > I tried it with bidi and without, difference wasn't huge. -- Le