From: Samuel Wales <samologist@gmail.com>
To: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
Subject: Re: email headers on lists like this one
Date: Tue, 29 Nov 2022 23:23:37 -0700	[thread overview]

unfortunately i am going to admit that i am more confused than ever.

[the story: i want to notice replies to my emails and conversations in
which i have participated.  but i send emacs mailing list email to a
tag/folder.  i want the ones i am part of to go to my inbox or
some other prominent location.]

can it be done without requesting all respondents to include me in cc
or to?  that seems burdensome to them and brittle.

alternatives sem to be by some header magic at the emacs mailing list
server, or by filtering in my webmail.

here is the thing: i note that my webmail puts a unicode >> in front
of conversation that have posts directed to me and > in front of
conversations that include me as part of them.  this is /exactly/ the
distinciton i want.

i want all emacs mailng list email to go to my emacs folder / tag /
[whatever it is in this webmail], /except/ all conversations with > or
>>, which go to inbox.  so, if gmail had an e.g. has:arrows search
trick [idk if it does], then maybe i could construct a filter to go to
the emacs tag that would look like [list:emacs -(has:arrows)] or
something.  i probably got that wrong due to cognitive issues.

idk if it does have that feature in its search capability, but given
that it has that feature /in the first place/ suggests to me that all
the information it needs, it has.  although maybe it has to look at
all posts in the conversation to know?

i do notice that if i search for mail like list:help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org
(to:me OR from:me), then that is a pretty good approximation of the
conversations i want to notice.  but the filter interface does not
allow search expressions.

--
The Kafka Pandemic

https://thekafkapandemic.blogspot.com