* License for elisp script
@ 2011-11-01 10:05 Vivek Joshi
From: Vivek Joshi @ 2011-11-01 10:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hello All,
I am planning to write a elisp script (something similar to gdb mode in
emacs). The script needs to use emacs gui for highlighting and moving
around some custom log files. Do I need to make source code of the script
and related backend scripts/programs (used for log file parsing, etc. )
because of the GNU public license?

Sorry for asking such a stupid question. I tried to look for the answer but
could not.

--

With warm regards,
Vivek. J. Joshi.

* Re: License for elisp script
       [not found] <mailman.1531.1320163524.15868.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
@ 2011-11-01 16:50 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
       [not found]   ` <jwvd3dbuu7y.fsf-monnier+gnu.emacs.help@gnu.org>
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2011-11-01 16:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Vivek Joshi <vivekjjoshi@yahoo.co.uk> writes:

> I am planning to write a elisp script (something similar to
> gdb mode in emacs). The script needs to use emacs gui for highlighting
> and moving around some custom log files. Do I need to make source code
> of the script and related backend scripts/programs (used for log file
> parsing, etc. ) because of the GNU public license?

Make them what?

You can distribute your programs under any license you want (or not
distribute them at all).

You may distribute only the compiled script (.elc), and external
programs.

Of course, if you do so, we won't trust them.

* Re: License for elisp script
       [not found]     ` <877h3j8bm7.fsf@kuiper.lan.informatimago.com>
@ 2011-11-02 13:18       ` Stefan Monnier
From: Stefan Monnier @ 2011-11-02 13:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> There are other implementations of emacs lisp than GNU emacs.

Are there such that are not GPL'd and that can run the OP's script?
If so, then he can probably distribute it under a non-GPL license, but
otherwise I think he's bound to the GPL.

> In any case, using a language cannot impose a license.

The issue is not so much the language as the library functions.  All the
Elisp libraries bundled with Emacs are GPL'd, so if he calls any of
those functions he's linking with GPL code and hence needs to use the
GPL as well.