* German quotation marks?
@ 2024-04-30 11:47 Michael Maurer
From: Michael Maurer @ 2024-04-30 11:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

When I'm writing in German, I need to quote like „Test“ instead of
"Test". Any way to accomplish this in Emacs? Tried googling "German
quotation marks", but that's probably not the right way to describe
it.

* Re: German quotation marks?
@ 2024-04-30 12:11 ` Joost Kremers
From: Joost Kremers @ 2024-04-30 12:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Maurer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, Apr 30 2024, Michael Maurer wrote:
> When I'm writing in German, I need to quote like „Test“ instead of
> "Test". Any way to accomplish this in Emacs? Tried googling "German
> quotation marks", but that's probably not the right way to describe
> it.

Ddg-ing "Emacs German quotation marks" brings up
https://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/TypographicalPunctuationMarks, which seems to
have some helpful information, though some of it looks outdated.

You should probably check out electric-quote-mode, which isn't directly set up
to use German quotes, but it looks like it can easily be configured to do so.

Another option might be to modify an input method, esp. if you happen to use one
already. For example, this is what I do to add some emoji to latin-9-prefix:

```
(with-temp-buffer
  (activate-input-method "latin-9-prefix")
  (let ((quail-current-package (assoc "latin-9-prefix" quail-package-alist)))
    (quail-define-rules ((append . t))
                        (";)" ?😉)
                        (":]" ?😬)
                        ("8)" ?🥴)
                        (":|" ?😐)
                        (":/" ?😕)
                        (":(" ?😠)
                        ("X)" ?😵)
                        (":{" ?😦)
                        (">)" ?😈)
                        (";(" ?😢)
                        (":D" ?😀)
                        ("O)" ?😇)
                        (":)" ?🙂)
                        (":C" ?😼)
                        )))
```

HTH

--
Joost Kremers
Life has its moments

* Re: German quotation marks?
@ 2024-04-30 12:14 ` Tim Landscheidt
From: Tim Landscheidt @ 2024-04-30 12:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Michael Maurer; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

Michael Maurer <maurer.michael@gmail.com> wrote:

> When I'm writing in German, I need to quote like „Test“ instead of
> "Test". Any way to accomplish this in Emacs? Tried googling "German
> quotation marks", but that's probably not the right way to describe
> it.

One way to make it easier in Emacs is Electric Quote mode
(https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Quotation-Marks.html):
With (taken from
https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/k73ihb/german_quotation_marks_in_orgmode/):

| (setq electric-quote-replace-double t
|       electric-quote-chars '(8216 8217 8222 8220))

one can type "Test" and get „Test“.

(Personally, on Linux I use the Compose key (Compose, ",",
'"' and Compose, "<", '"’) for quotation marks as this works
everywhere, i. e. also in the shell, etc.)

Tim

* Re: German quotation marks?
@ 2024-04-30 12:24   ` Michael Maurer
From: Michael Maurer @ 2024-04-30 12:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Tim Landscheidt; +Cc: help-gnu-emacs

On Tue, 30 Apr 2024 at 14:14, Tim Landscheidt <tim@tim-landscheidt.de> wrote:

> Michael Maurer <maurer.michael@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > When I'm writing in German, I need to quote like „Test“ instead of
> > "Test". Any way to accomplish this in Emacs? Tried googling "German
> > quotation marks", but that's probably not the right way to describe
> > it.
>
> One way to make it easier in Emacs is Electric Quote mode
> (https://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/manual/html_node/emacs/Quotation-Marks.html):
> With (taken from
> https://www.reddit.com/r/orgmode/comments/k73ihb/german_quotation_marks_in_orgmode/):
>
> | (setq electric-quote-replace-double t
> |       electric-quote-chars '(8216 8217 8222 8220))
>
> one can type "Test" and get „Test“.
>
> (Personally, on Linux I use the Compose key (Compose, ",",
> '"' and Compose, "<", '"’) for quotation marks as this works
> everywhere, i. e. also in the shell, etc.)
>
> Tim

Yeah I'm also on Linux, didn't know I could use the Compose key that
way. Very helpful, ty!

* Re: German quotation marks?
@ 2024-04-30 12:37 ` Eli Zaretskii
From: Eli Zaretskii @ 2024-04-30 12:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

> From: Michael Maurer <maurer.michael@gmail.com>
> Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2024 13:47:41 +0200
>
> When I'm writing in German, I need to quote like „Test“ instead of
> "Test". Any way to accomplish this in Emacs? Tried googling "German
> quotation marks", but that's probably not the right way to describe
> it.

You could add a mapping to iso-transl-char-map, and then use "C-x 8".
For example, the existing mappings already allow:

  C-x 8 { => “
  C-x 8 } => ”