Thank you so much all of you --- I think C- C- then C-u C- works for me The split window trick seems neat - actually very neat - One question though ... when I split the window and then move somewhere else, I would then have to switch to the other windows before making it the only one - right? Some extra key strokes seem to be involved. What I like best about Emacs is that I could've written up a script and bound to keys as Andreas suggested but I prefer to do find out if there is an "Emacs" way to do it already. Thank you all for your suggestions. I shifted to Emacs a couple of years ago (after being a Vi guy for over 10 years!) because I fell in love with functional programming (in Haskell actually). Regards, Kashyap On Sat, Jul 7, 2012 at 8:57 PM, Dmitry Gutov wrote: > notbob writes: > > > On 2012-07-07, Francesco Mazzoli wrote: > >> I use `C- C-' to set the mark, and `C-u C-' to jump >> > back. No registers involved. > > > > I occasionally do something stupid like hit the wrong keystroke, usually > > C-e, which puts me at the end of the line. I was somewhat sure there > > was an equally simple keystroked to return me to where I once was > > where. NO!? If not, I'm bummed. I thought emacs was "powerful". > > Seems a simple function. And by GOD, can't let vi outdo on this! > > Can vi undo just any navigation command? > >