From: Hongyi Zhao <hongyi.zhao@gmail.com>
To: Emanuel Berg <moasenwood@zoho.eu>,
	help-gnu-emacs <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: A general way to install all dependent libraries when compiling Emacs from its git master source code.
Date: Sun, 22 Aug 2021 21:58:51 +0800	[thread overview]

On Sun, Aug 22, 2021 at 9:27 PM Emanuel Berg via Users list for the
GNU Emacs text editor <help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org> wrote:

> Hongyi Zhao wrote:
>
> > It's well known that Emacs relies on a number of libraries
> > for its functionality. On the other hand, different
> > operating systems have different package/library management
> > tools and even the same library may have different names
> > when installed on different operating systems. It would be
> > handy if we had a common way to install all the dependent
> > libraries when compiling Emacs from its Git Master source.
> > For this purpose, I've noticed the vcpkg tool. But I'm not
> > sure if there are some people here have some experiences for
> > using this or the similar tools to solve this problem
> > mentioned above.
>
> What libraries do you mean?

See my following explanation.

> Here is how I get and build it
>
> #! /bin/zsh
> #
> # this file:
> #   http://user.it.uu.se/~embe8573/conf/.zsh/install-emacs
> #   https://dataswamp.org/~incal/conf/.zsh/install-emacs
>
> local EMACS_SRC=https://git.savannah.gnu.org/git/emacs.git
>
> emacs-install-prepare () {
>     sudo apt-get -qq update
>     sudo apt-get install build-essential
>     sudo apt-get build-dep emacs

Basically, I mean all the libraries installed by the above command,
which will install all dependent libraries for Emacs on the Debian
derivative systems. But when you're not on Debian derivative systems,
you must adapt it to appropriate forms.

> }
>
> emacs-src-reset () {
>     git reset --hard