* how to change background color when running emacs -nw
@ 2013-08-14  6:54 Lalit Saraswat
From: Lalit Saraswat @ 2013-08-14  6:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Hi,

I am running emacs in no window mode. but emacs dont take konsole's
background color.
How can i change the background colour to white or whatever used by konsole.

Also how can i access Menu items like file/edit/buffers etc in no window
mode.

Thanks & Regards,
Lalit Saraswat

* Re: how to change background color when running emacs -nw
@ 2013-08-14  8:35 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-08-14  8:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lalit Saraswat <leadinglalit@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I am running emacs in no window mode. but emacs dont take konsole's
> background color.
> How can i change the background colour to white or whatever used by konsole.

doesn't something like

,--------------------------------
| $ emacs -nw -fg wheat -bg black
`--------------------------------

work?

> Also how can i access Menu items like file/edit/buffers etc in no window
> mode.

maybe with

,----------------------------------------------------------------------------

`----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: how to change background color when running emacs -nw
@ 2013-08-14  9:14 ` Pascal J. Bourguignon
From: Pascal J. Bourguignon @ 2013-08-14  9:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

Lalit Saraswat <leadinglalit@gmail.com> writes:

> I am running emacs in no window mode. but emacs dont take konsole's
> background color.
> How can i change the background colour to white or whatever used by konsole.

(progn
  (set-background-color "white")
  (set-foreground-color "black")) C-x C-u

works as well in a terminal than in a windowing environment.

> Also how can i access Menu items like file/edit/buffers etc in no window
> mode.

M-`

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__
http://www.informatimago.com/

* Re: how to change background color when running emacs -nw
@ 2013-08-14 10:38   ` Marko Vojinovic
From: Marko Vojinovic @ 2013-08-14 10:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: help-gnu-emacs

On Wed, 14 Aug 2013 10:35:21 +0200
Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
> Lalit Saraswat <leadinglalit@gmail.com> writes:
> >
> > I am running emacs in no window mode. but emacs dont take konsole's
> > background color.
> > How can i change the background colour to white or whatever used by
> > konsole.
>
> doesn't something like
>
> ,--------------------------------
> | $ emacs -nw -fg wheat -bg black
> `--------------------------------
>
> work?

I believe the OP wants emacs to autodetect the background color of a
parent terminal process, and set that same color as its own background
at startup.

Some people use different background colors for user/root/remote
shells, and I can imagine that they would want this color to
propagate into emacs automatically, whatever that color may be in each
particular instance.

Best, :-)
Marko