* "Package refresh is already in progress, please wait..."
@ 2020-01-18 10:59 Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-18 10:59 UTC (permalink / raw)

It looks like emacs does not properly handle package refreshes when the internet connection has been killed in the middle of an refresh.

I often get this message in that case and I can't call package until I actually kill emacs and restart it.

Is there a way to kill that zombie refresh process so that I can launch another one ?

Jean-Christophe Helary

* Re: "Package refresh is already in progress, please wait..."
@ 2020-01-18 13:20 ` Pankaj Jangid
From: Pankaj Jangid @ 2020-01-18 13:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
writes:

> It looks like emacs does not properly handle package refreshes when
> the internet connection has been killed in the middle of an refresh.
>
> I often get this message in that case and I can't call package until I
> actually kill emacs and restart it.
>
> Is there a way to kill that zombie refresh process so that I can
> launch another one ?

I face this issue very often. Especially when the internet connection is slow.

* Re: "Package refresh is already in progress, please wait..."
@ 2020-01-18 15:32   ` Amin Bandali
From: Amin Bandali @ 2020-01-18 15:32 UTC (permalink / raw)

Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:

> Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
> writes:
>
>> It looks like emacs does not properly handle package refreshes when
>> the internet connection has been killed in the middle of an refresh.
>>
>> I often get this message in that case and I can't call package until I
>> actually kill emacs and restart it.
>>
>> Is there a way to kill that zombie refresh process so that I can
>> launch another one ?
>
> I face this issue very often. Especially when the internet connection is slow.

I haven’t tried this (I don’t currently use package.el), but the process
should appear in M-x list-processes RET.  If it does, you can kill it by
putting the point on the corresponding line and pressing ‘d’.

HTH.

[-- Attachment #2: signature.asc --]

* Re: "Package refresh is already in progress, please wait..."
@ 2020-01-18 15:47     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-18 15:47 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Jan 19, 2020, at 0:32, Amin Bandali <mab@gnu.org> wrote:
>
> Pankaj Jangid <p4j@j4d.net> writes:
>
>> Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org>
>> writes:
>>
>>> It looks like emacs does not properly handle package refreshes when
>>> the internet connection has been killed in the middle of an refresh.
>>>
>>> I often get this message in that case and I can't call package until I
>>> actually kill emacs and restart it.
>>>
>>> Is there a way to kill that zombie refresh process so that I can
>>> launch another one ?
>>
>> I face this issue very often. Especially when the internet connection is slow.
>
> I haven’t tried this (I don’t currently use package.el), but the process
> should appear in M-x list-processes RET.  If it does, you can kill it by
> putting the point on the corresponding line and pressing ‘d’.

Thank you very much.

There were indeed package.el related processes. But killing them did not change the behavior.

When I try package-list-package, I still get the error message above.

@ 2020-01-18 16:20 ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2020-01-18 16:20 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jean-Christophe Helary <jean.christophe.helary@traduction-libre.org> writes:

> It looks like emacs does not properly handle package refreshes when the internet connection has been killed in the middle of an refresh.
>
> I often get this message in that case and I can't call package until I actually kill emacs and restart it.

That's a bug which was almost certainly introduced in a6d87ea045 by
yours truly.  Could you please file a new bug report by running M-x
report-emacs-bug or emailing bug-gnu-emacs@gnu.org?  Please include a
reference to this thread.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

* Re: "Package refresh is already in progress, please wait..."
@ 2020-01-23 16:07   ` Stefan Kangas
From: Stefan Kangas @ 2020-01-23 16:07 UTC (permalink / raw)

Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:
> > I often get this message in that case and I can't call package until I actually kill emacs and restart it.

BTW, when you see this, it should be fixed by evaluating:

   (setq package--downloads-in-progress nil)

At least it saves you the trouble of having to restart Emacs until we
can get a proper fix (I'm working on it).

Best regards,
Stefan Kangas

* Re: "Package refresh is already in progress, please wait..."
@ 2020-01-23 16:12     ` Jean-Christophe Helary
From: Jean-Christophe Helary @ 2020-01-23 16:12 UTC (permalink / raw)

> On Jan 24, 2020, at 1:07, Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> wrote:
>
> Stefan Kangas <stefan@marxist.se> writes:
>>> I often get this message in that case and I can't call package until I actually kill emacs and restart it.
>
> BTW, when you see this, it should be fixed by evaluating:
>
>   (setq package--downloads-in-progress nil)
>
> At least it saves you the trouble of having to restart Emacs until we
> can get a proper fix (I'm working on it).

Thank you Stefan.

Jean-Christophe Helary